Puppeteer

Author Topic: GASSIFICATION  (Read 6826 times)

overbore

• View Profile
GASSIFICATION
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:04:08 AM »
has the potential to be a reliable, inexpensive and time proven, since 1920's, practical fuel source augmentation. What I am thinking of is that in time of normal fuels being in short supply, a bio-gas fuel ( hydrogen) enhancement to our WVO and base stock fuels could be very useful to the self sufficient.  Anyone care to move the ball down the road?  GEK Labs has commercialized gassification so the combination of their and "our"technologies is not exactly inventing the laser saber. GEK TOTTI Gasifier Kit could be good staring point; no, no fiscal ties of any nature.

Thanks for considering and positive thinking. No, I am too old to get into something new.
overbore
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:10:49 AM by overbore »

honda lee

• View Profile
Re: GASSIFICATION
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »
At some point I will be experimenting with gasification. I am using wvo on my 8/1 and I have made a Gek type gasifier. I have been starting a homestead from scratch and it has been taking all my energy. At some point I hope to start experimenting .

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 08:26:52 PM »
Good luck with the homestead plans, sounds like a major plan for an uncertain future. Please keep us updated on your gassifier progress.
overbore

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
A fellow contributor to this forum is already there. Mr Lister is his name and he has worked in collaboration with GEK to get a 6/1 engine running on a GEK gasifier.  I seem to remember they lowered the compression ratio, and fitted a spark plug ignition system.  Perhaps he might chime in with more information.

Mick

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:43:03 PM »
There are some postings regarding operating the Lister HRG models (designed for Natural Gas) direct from a wood gasifier with no modifications... most operational issues will be related to getting the ignition timing right and keeping the gas filtered sufficiently to avoid getting the engine combustion chamber and rings glued full of tar.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 07:30:36 PM »
has the potential to be a reliable, inexpensive and time proven, since 1920's, practical fuel source augmentation. What I am thinking of is that in time of normal fuels being in short supply, a bio-gas fuel ( hydrogen) enhancement to our WVO and base stock fuels could be very useful to the self sufficient.  Anyone care to move the ball down the road?  GEK Labs has commercialized gassification so the combination of their and "our"technologies is not exactly inventing the laser saber. GEK TOTTI Gasifier Kit could be good staring point; no, no fiscal ties of any nature.

Thanks for considering and positive thinking. No, I am too old to get into something new.
overbore

First things first. There is no shortage of crude oil gas or coal. It's media hype. I remember peak oil and running out of oil in the 1970's. Even with 40+ years of consumption. there is more oil reserves than there ever was.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 07:51:10 PM »
Shortage, hype or reality, does not matter... I think what really matters is what fuel source/s you can actually have reasonable and cost-effective access to in your particular locale. Available supplies (and prices) are not typically under the control of individuals or small groups (unless maybe you have a producing well in your backyard and a way to refine it).

Biomass of one sort or another is available in almost every location a human would want to habitate on this planet. Effective biomass fuel conversion to operate internal combustion machinery can be a complex issue in the final analysis, but certainly one that has been proven and used effectively over many decades and in many difficult circumstances - world war, economic crises, political upheavals and so on.

Fuel supply and sustainability is one very important aspect of self-sufficient operations that I believe cannot be ignored without facing great peril of losing the operation of our equipment and machinery.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:44:59 PM by dieselgman »

mbryner

• View Profile
    • Marcus & Emily's personal website
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »
I have a GEK gen 1 or 2 from several years back if anyone is interested.   I'm not shipping it anywhere, so you'd have to come to Southern Oregon to pick it up.  It was fun to play with and it did produce wood gas.   Unless you can automate it, it's like tending a steam engine and I never hooked it up to the Listeroid.   It can be done, though.

Marcus
JKson/Powersolutions 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane canister muffler, future off-gridder

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 02:32:23 PM »
I am thinking that there are some small-scale applications for biomass conversion that seem to make sense... I agree that at the moment there are much easier fuel solutions at hand and none of this can be thought of as an overall solution to our energy needs nor very practical in many locations. It was not that long ago that we nearly completely deforested much of the land throughout Alaska along the path of the Yukon River to run the paddle steamers up and down... similar story along the Mississippi river in the States. In very recent years, with fuel oil prices in many Alaska communities exceeding $7 per gallon, a lot of attention and research has gone towards converting small-scale village heating plants back to wood. Local economics and circumstances dictate. Direct wood heating is quite a bit simpler than gasification though. At this time we are participating in a trial project with a couple companies making some 15kW waste-wood plants. Jury is still out on those efforts.

dieselgman