Author Topic: SR2 issues  (Read 5394 times)

Help I have a Lister

• View Profile
SR2 issues
« on: December 06, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
Hello out there. My first post. I have acquired a 30ft narrow boat with an SR2 with LH150 box. The boat sank and the engine was flooded. With some attention the engine was restarted. It takes a bit to get it started and once going It runs ok but chucks out a lot of smoke. Can anyone suggest what to do to improve the starting and emissions.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: SR2 issues
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »
How long was the engine under water? What is the smoke color? How much have you run it since the incident?

Several things are likely... You might have stuck rings and even some cylinder wall damage if it was under water for very long. You might also have some fuel injection issues from water entering the fuel system.

We assume you have done a very thorough cleaning of the insides including all fuel lines and filters and also oil sump and combustion chambers.

To diagnose you can easily pull the injectors and test them in the inverted position to see if you have an even and proper atomization of the fuel.
You can also add a tablespoon of lube oil to each cylinder during startup to increase compression even if the rings have issues.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Help I have a Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

The engine was submersed for up to 5 days. The smoke is blueish and consistent when the engine is warm. I have run it for about 10 hours like this.

Initially I had someone over who serviced the engine which included flushing and cleaning of fuel system and engine etc. with a new battery it turned over and eventually ran. I have noticed that the engine oil level seems to be lowering but there are no obvious leaks.

As I am unfamiliar with this engine I may have to call the service man back but before I spend any more money on it your comments are very much appreciated.

Regards.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »
Blue smoke means oil consumption. There are two major ways your ST will consume oil through the combustion chamber - rings and valve guides. In your case you can just bet that the water caused one or more rings to become stuck to its piston. They are prone to water corrosion (iron against aluminum). So, you either need to try and free it up, or take it apart and renew the rings. Do a full decarb job while you are at it if you have to do the latter. You might try some solvent soaks to accomplish the former. Water is actually the universal solvent even though it caused the initial problem. If your unit will still load up and get hot, you might try a water mist through the inlet port while it is hot and working hard. At the least this will clear any carbon deposits from the combustion chamber. Any number of other petrochemical soaks might also have some effect of loosening the corrosion and rust. Many of them have been mentioned in other threads here. Most recently - Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid.

dieselgman

Help I have a Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »
Ok thanks. I need a manual if you can help to see if it's anything I can do. Many thanks once again for your time.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 06:56:39 AM »
What's the chance of a ring breaking, and getting a runaway engine fueled from the crankcase ?

If it happens, how to stop it ? (rubber ball into the intake ? )

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »
These engines have 5-ring pistons with double oil scrapers and I have never seen one of them fail in the manner you suggest. It would have to be a very extreme case of worn out engine and very high oil level along with high engine revving I would think.

If you did have a fuel runaway, you would want to block air intake as suggested if you did not get good response the from fuel rack.

dieselgman

richardhula

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
Ok thanks. I need a manual if you can help to see if it's anything I can do. Many thanks once again for your time.

Lister LRM & SRM1/2/3 cylinder  (marine versions) manual can be downloaded here if that helps.