Author Topic: Penetrating Oil Thread  (Read 23651 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Penetrating Oil Thread
« on: December 04, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »
Wasn't there a thread that discussed the best oil or "stuff" to loosen tight nuts.  (Keep it clean.)

Suggestions?

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Penetrating Oil Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »
The current rage with antique tractor types is a mixture of acetone and ATF. A few years ago it was PB Blaster, before that Kroil. 

Dad's advise on penetrating oils was always to pick the one you think smells best because your going to have it on your hands and clothes. He also said its only redeeming attribute was that  it gives a fellow a good  excuse to not work on the  old piece of junk while the magic oil  "soaks in". Close to 50 years in the shop working on old junk had put me solidly in Dad's corner. I have never seen any of it that worked one little bit better than the used solvent out of the parts washer. Best nut loosener  I have used  is proper portions of oxygen and acetylene lit on fire  and applied until red

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »
I'm with you Butch! Heat works wonders on loosening all sorts of stuck situations. Everything from a tiny propane pencil torch up to the Oxy-Acetylene depending on size and location of the offending parts. I probably use a little plumbers propane torch about every day in the shop here.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 03:17:25 AM »
If it weren't attached to the suspension of a Honda Element I'd be under there right now but damage control is very important as this unit has to be inspected for retitling.  And I do have some acetone and ATF.

Thanks
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
Understood, didnt mean to imply that the stuff is useless but more along the lines that as long as it has portions of solvent and oil that none of it is an better or worse than the rest. If you have a solvent tank for washing parts put some in an oil can and save $$$ on buying it in town. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 05:40:39 AM »
Wow!  That acetone is some strong stuff.  The oil can pump stopped moving oil or at least 50/50 ATF/acetone.  I'll pick up an old fashioned bottom style oil can and get back on it.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:10:22 PM »
If you can get it in the States - Plus Gas. Magic stuff. I dissasembled an entire 1977 Jaguar XJS using this stuff, and only lost a couple of bolts due to shearing. Didn't round a single nut. PlusGas is seriously amazing stuff.

A friend of mine was trying to dissasemble some very expensive aluminium suspension (ali tube, ali nut), which had been on a rally car for around 6 years - nothing would shift it; hammering, heat, WD40, none of them would touch it.

2 squirts of Plus Gas, they unscrewed right off without any effort.

I don't have shares in the Plus Gas company (whoever it is makes it). Just a delighted customer, amazed that something that comes out of a squirt can in 2014 actually does what it says on the tin, rather than being useless junk.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »
Plus Gas:

Amazon - Beano lower track relief.

Google - Mileage extender

It's not looking good.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
Damn, that's just not fair.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Abrasives-802-10-Plusgas-Aerosol/dp/B0001P02RK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419001595&sr=8-1&keywords=plus+gas

Maybe it's only in demand here on account of all the rusty cars we make?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »
I've watched this thread for a while before chiming in.....

Years ago someone asked me what cause the rust ?  Water

Penetrating oils will only soak in so far before they "bridge" and hinder further penetraton.

Water and heat and are your best friends.
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 07:13:49 AM »
I just pulled a couple of nuts off yesterday using the acetone and ATF concoction.  I'm using one of those plastic bottles that has a spout that goes to the bottom of the bottle.  Rule 2 or 3 is to NOT leave it in the sun or the expansion will push much of the stuff out.  It worked really nice.  I'll be putting up against some real challenges this weekend.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

NCW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 08:59:08 AM »
I use Penol made by Chemodex to loosen my nuts. Its great stuff.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:05:17 AM by NCW »

tropilister

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 03:48:21 AM »
   Always was partial to a mixture of WD-40 and penetrating oil liberally applied and allowed to sit for a few days coupled with light tapping with a small hammer if possible. Muratic acid will clean rust out around the bolt heads pretty good to allow a starting point but be REAL CAREFUL as it removes your hide real fast as well ! When all else fails, brute force and ignorance coupled with heat and a "cheater pipe"? ;D  A good friend of mine swears by some stuff called Break- Free which was developed for use on heavy weapons during Vietnam but it's wicked expensive for general work.

tropilister

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 12:38:36 AM »
Believe it or not, I have had about as much luck with my Stihl 2 stroke gas and oil mix as anything else.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

guest23837

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 05:16:08 PM »
I am trying to free the rack on an LT1 pump. I started off with poor information ie nail polish remover mixed 4 - 1 with diesel. Well my wifes nail varnish remover is acetone free and diesel is the wrong lubricant. Anyway I looked on the interweb and I thought this site was interesting

http://www.engineeringforchange.org/how-to-make-penetrating-oil/

Pump is now soaking in an 80-20 mix veg oil and acetone. I'll give it a week before see what happens