Author Topic: oil filters  (Read 10993 times)

Gippslander

• View Profile
oil filters
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:31:54 AM »
Hi

I am wondering about the use of oil filters in listeroids . I have a Jkson 6/1 and I would like to fit a oil filter to it . Would a automotive screw on filter be OK ? I guess the oil pump in the 6/1 is only a low pressure output and I dont want to restrict the oil flow in any way .

Any suggestions are welcome .  I think the powereanand listeroid does have a oil filter fitted as standard ?  Does anyone know what type of filter it is ?  Regards  Mike in Australia
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:33:56 AM by Gippslander »
Gippsland is in the S.E. corner of mainland Australia

38ac

• View Profile
Re: oil filters
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:49:05 AM »
The oil filter, mount and pipes are lless than $25 at CMD as a kit. I suspect that Diesel Electric can supply them also?

I dont think I would do much scrounging for that kind of money?
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 03:13:39 AM »
I have been using the recommended straight 30 weight oil in my JKSON for about 500 hours. The received wisdom is that the non detergent grades allow contaminants to settle out into the sump rather than being carried along suspended in the oil. That is so, but I have found it also leaves a residue of hard to remove black goop everywhere in the crankcase.
I would also like to install a filter in order to use a detergent oil that is also a multi-grade for easier cold weather cranking, something I do nearly every day at this time of year. I would also anticipate less crud build-up in the crankcase with detergent oil.

Butch is correct, they may be had for small money from CMD. A filter kit can also be had here http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Oil-Filter-Kit.html
In the photo of the item shown one can see the Lister/Petter part number.

In my case, (I'm in Canada) I find that it is overall less costly to purchase from SEP even they are in UK. Reason being, CMD ships by courier,the added brokerage fees and taxes end up to be  an exorbitant total, and it seems the couriered items take forever to get here. SEP, on the other hand, ships via Royal Mail. Ordered items get here without customs fees, extra taxes, and in only a few days. YMMV, of course.

I am a fan of scrounging the 'net to find something that can be adapted, but this readily available option seems the way to go.

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 06:21:41 AM »
If you can find a large spin on diesel fuel filter housing with BSP inlet/outlet fittings and replace the fuel filter with an oil filter, this would be an option but as you say its not worth the  messing about.    I have an Indian oil filter kit fitted to an engine with solid SOM flywheels, it fits very neatly but it`s a pain to access the filter and would benefit from bringing the filter out to a place from behind the flywheel.        l I think the Indian kits spin on element is the same as fitted to the smaller more modern Lister air cooled engines.   

Mark.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:53:50 AM »
I think the Indian kits spin on element is the same as fitted to the smaller more modern Lister air cooled engines.   

Correct, same filter as would be found on later SL, SR, and ST engines, when fitted with oil filtration equipment

Gippslander

• View Profile
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:43:06 AM by Gippslander »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »
Another option is a crankcase door filter. This mod was developed by one of the old members here and can be found via search. Sounds rinky dink at first glance  but if one removes the door right after shutting the engine down he will find that an incredible amount of oil is running down the backside of the hand hole door when in operation. The filter mod takes advantage of that to filter the oil. I think the guy was "hot tater" or something like that?
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Gippslander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 11:42:33 AM »
Another option is a crankcase door filter. This mod was developed by one of the old members here and can be found via search. Sounds rinky dink at first glance  but if one removes the door right after shutting the engine down he will find that an incredible amount of oil is running down the backside of the hand hole door when in operation. The filter mod takes advantage of that to filter the oil. I think the guy was "hot tater" or something like that?

I think it was " hotater " Unfortunately the pics are gone from his posts , it was back in 2005 .
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:56:46 AM by Gippslander »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »
The below the big door filter was invented by  Jack (Beck?), aka Hotater.

After seeing his, which was a screen shelf covered with terry cloth, I adapted it into a metal box "depth" filter, which I stuff with cotton rags.

It is ideal for Metro Listeroids and the like, which only have splash lube, and no lower sump.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
Here's an interesting old thread about my initial experience with my filter:

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=1000.0

Eventually I found the source of my grit- it was a gob of black grease mixed with casting sand under the piston crown, hidden by the wrist pin and rod.  Seems likely it was intentional sabotage by an angry worker.  I sure went through a lot of main bearing shells before finding it!  Switching to solid, un-grooved upper bearing shells helped quite a bit- no more grit raining down and into the upper bearing shell.

There's some photos of my gravity oil filter box from the Microcogen forum:
http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=132.0

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:44:41 PM by BruceM »

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 03:36:33 PM »
being a Metro owner, I'll have to get along with the "sock in a box" mod. 
How is it attached to the under door area?  did you drill holes through the case ?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »
Yes, bolted to the case, two 1/4" holes just below the door.  The cast iron was very hard, but a cobalt bit did the trick nicely.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »
Bruce,
At one time I recall seeing pictures of your filter set up.  Could you post those pics again ?

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

Gary
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 03:24:56 AM »
I wonder if half dozen super magnets would hold a filter tray in place ?  I know that if they fail, it's going to ruin all the internals, but drilling through cast iron is risky too, in my hands.  maybe a small pilot hole and graduate up ?  Yes on the cobalt bits.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »
Here's some pictures of my sock in a box filter. 

http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/rbmccreary/library/

I wouldn't trust magnets to hold the filter in place.  Cobalt bits make cast iron drilling painless.