Author Topic: 25/2  (Read 5611 times)

johnny williams

• View Profile
25/2
« on: December 25, 2005, 03:46:24 PM »
Who is importing the 25/2's. Who seem s to have the best ones. And most importantly how much are they? What kind of load can you get out of them?
I'm just full of questions today among other stuff ;D

Thanks
Johnny Williams

quinnf

Re: 25/2
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 04:17:50 PM »
Johnny,

Wondering what's the application you are planning for?  That's a LOT of power.

The 25/2s are not very common, but George has some pics on his CD that show a guy named Mike Brown who built one as a portable jobsite power plant.  The thing's an absolute beast.  You might want to e-mail him at gbrecke@vircom.net  George is a good guy, can't say enough about him.  If anyone knows about the 25, it'll be him.

Good luck, and if you go down that road, take lots of pictures!

Quinn
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 04:27:45 PM by quinnf »

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 10:43:04 PM »
I was just at George's to borrow a gib key puller and got a chance to look at the PS 6/1 he and Joel have built to thier specs. I was very impressed with the quality, the cleanliness of the inside of the engine, and the tight fit of the cam gear train. I couln't feel any backlash (unlike my Ashwamegh 25/2). George told me that they have a PS 24/2 comming soon, and it will be a direct replacement for the Ashwamegh they used to sell. If it equals the quality of the Power Solutions 6/1 I was looking at, it should be a real winner. By the way, I don't believe the Ashwamegh really puts out 25, but I got a 15 Kw head just in case........
About my 25/2: It was not cleaned well before assembly, and has many painted in sand pockets. They looked like casting flaws when I first looked at them. They were painted over, and resisted some pretty determined prodding with a screwdriver, So I thought the engine was clean enough. I washed it out and put new oil and several magnets in it. I opened it up to replace the dubious idler gear at 7.5 hours run time. The oil was quite dirty, so after I drained it and mopped out the sump, I really started whacking at a rough spot in the casting by the center main bearing. When it eventually broke out, I had over a tablespoon full of sand and what someone else on this forum refered to as Bentonite, a kind of hardened clay like dirt. Then I got out the inspection mirror and the small digital camera and found small (and some not so small) deposits in corners and webs all through the crankcase. Well, I started taking it all apart, and soon we can share the experience of cleaning, ballancing etc. a 25/2.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

quinnf

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 11:21:18 PM »
Scott,

I forgot you have that engine.  Johnny, talk to Scott! 

Just wondering what makes you suspect your 25's not really that powerful.  Seems the way would be to hook up a genny to it and see how much you get before smoke.

25 HP should be able to carry 15 kW if your engine is rated like the 6/1s.  According to the usual rule of thumb, 2 hp/kW, I should be getting no more than 3 kW, but I piled on the loads until I had 3800 W and the exhaust note hardly changed.  As I switched in the last 900 W load, a little smoke was visible, showing that it was about maxed out.  Then again, coming up with 15 kW of load isn't quite as easy as hooking up a bunch of electric heaters and shop lights and then measuring current and voltage . . .

Let us know what you get. 

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 05:15:42 AM »
Well, I agree. Testing is the only way to know. I just had to curtail the testing program until I get some educational maintenance done. Then it's back to 'product development' and testing.
Don't worry, it's fun either way. The rod bearings need to be replaced, but the journals look OK. I'll polish and mic them to be on the safe side.
I already checked one main bearing bushing, and I think I caught the whole thing before it got real expensive.  The actual parts seem well made, except maybe the cam idler gear, and the finnish on the tappets. The tappet faces seem plenty hard to me when I refinished the one that wouldn't rotate.
A 25/2 is a big engine, and does present a challenge, but if you think you need the power, or like a challenge, I'd go for it. I don't regret it yet.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 03:27:00 AM »
I just took a few more bits off the block: the cam / governor end cover, injectors and lube oil pump.
I noticed that the oil pump plunger has not been turning. :-\ I think it should turn like a valve tappet?
The return spring looked pretty good, and the plunger has a nice slurp fit. I wonder if the spring seating in the plunger keeps the plunger from turning? Maybe I should seat the spring on a ball bearing like the clutch actuating rod on my Yamaha 650?
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12