Puppeteer

Author Topic: Proper taper pin peening procedure  (Read 11009 times)

bob b

• View Profile
Re: Proper taper pin peening procedure
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »

OK, Heres what I (think) I've learned.

My powersolutions 12/2 stock injector lobe requires a #7 -  5 inch pin

Where I cut it measures .350, and, according to this http://almabolt.com/pages/catalog/pins/taper.htm
   the big end of a number # 6 is too small.

The #6 reamer tops out at .354

Sooooo

The pins required (for my stuff anyway) that would work in both cams are #7 - 5 inches long.

The reamer that would work in both cams is the #6.

I believe the above to be correct. Hope this helps someone.  If anyone disagrees PLEASE post.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 08:43:36 PM »
Sounds like good information Bob,

I know that many of the clone single cylinder cams fit a #6 pin properly... your twin may have been bodged a bit somewhere along the line or just simply requires the larger pin diameter by design. What matters is that you end up with a workable piece of hardware that operates properly and safely in your engine.

Best of luck!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »
Sorry Bob, been away from the 'puter for a few days.

Original design called for #6 pins all the way across the camshaft. They can be had in several lengths as can the reamers from McMaster Carr.  I have yet to experience an Indian engine as some have described where a reamer was not used.  I would be careful about reaming the holes oversized, especially on a twin diesel and even more so closer to the cam drive gear. This being due to further weakening an already weak design, that is even more weakened by Indian non-spec shaft materials.  You lost me (easy to do) when you talked about the reamer being to big or small for your pins in the gear.  I have built cams for singles and twins, both Indian and Lister, both diesel and gasoline and have only used one reamer and two lengths of #6 pins to do them all. But as Gary said, if your program works, then it is good  ;)
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

bob b

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 10:55:03 PM »

Thank YOU all for counseling me to fix the slop. Otherwise I might never have gone looking for the reamer. I wasn't the one who hogged it out to require the bigger pin. It didn't take long to get it right. I think I really just cleaned it up a little.

The new cam is still crappy, but in a different way. The old one had a 10 degree late #2 exhaust closing event, but it was a non COV I think (55 exhaust opening)

This one has a 48 exhaust opening on # 2,  and 43  on #1. One lobe is 6 degrees short on duration that I'll try to fix by closing up the lash.

Wonder how low I can go with the lash? I check it regularly for sinking valves.

And the 64,000 question is, do you sell 12/2 twin non COV cams?

Why are COV vs non COV so different?

FWIW After installing the pin,I put it all back together with a crescent wrench, water pump pliers, a hammer, and a penny. 

fabricator

• Grand Haven MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 11:16:15 PM »
Change out the crescent wrench with an old wood handled monkey wrench and the hammer for a rock and you have the basic tool kit.
BioDiesel Brewer

bob b

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 11:19:30 PM »

Already have the rock. Its between my ears