Author Topic: ST didn't start  (Read 6676 times)

Blue

• View Profile
ST didn't start
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:37:23 PM »
I returned from a break overseas and thought I had better just check my ST1 stand by generator. Fuel in the tank (engine mounted), oil in the sump (at about the correct level; it is an ST after all !!!) and no debris around the cooling areas (courtesy of anolis lizards). So I gave it a crank only to be greeted by silence, no injector squeak !!!
Question, how can it lose it's prime when there is fuel in the tank ? Only solution I can think of is a leak in the delivery valve / element of the fuel pump. Or the fuel pump stuck in the delivery position.
It started and ran (and bled itself) with the smallest hint of easy start and has been perfect since. Am I missing something here ?
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: ST didn't start
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:54:43 AM »
Is your fuel control rack open? These will usually maintain prime for a very long time...

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:30:40 PM »
The stop lever was left in the run position during the idle period but I can't remember if I operated it before starting. I guess the only solution is to leave it a couple of months again and then remove the pump cover to check it but it has never caused problems before. I admit I was surprised because when I was given it it started immediately and that was after about ten years sitting idle  ???
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 05:50:02 AM »
The recommended routine for a standby set is monthly operation and running it up to full operational temps each time... this should guarantee readiness and will most likely show up any defect long before you find yourself in a crisis situation with a non-starting machine. Knowing your maintenance history, keeping track of all service for a long time period will also help with accurate diagnosis. The S series has an unfortunate history with internal fuel leakage and diagnosis can be fairly painstaking for this symptom.
All fuel connections can be suspect, and especially the fuel pumps themselves. We keep a close watch on lube oil levels for any ST model we run or maintain for this reason. Any rise in level indicates an immediate need for tracking down the leak. In your case, a minor leak can also allow air into the system and thus result in an inoperable injector until the air is purged. I have a Lister training video that spends a lot of time with focus on this exact issue. These machines demand absolutely clean fuel at all times, and Lister also recommends an absolutely clean environment for any servicing of the fuel system. A very small glitch in the injector nozzle (stuck partially open for instance) can be the culprit for your described malfunction. I routinely run a dose of fuel system cleaner through mine - (100% biodiesel) will work wonders in many cases of a dirty fuel system. There are many commercial products designed for this purpose. We also insist on pre-filtering any fuel run in one of these engine mounted tanks because their on-board particulate filter is not adequate to handle more than a very minor amount of water or debris. Keep your tanks full, keep your fuel fresh. Diesel does not store well, especially if the environment is humid. This can mean a bit of a hassle if you do not run your equipment very much... but it also can reduce fuel system problems to a minimum.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:01:36 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
I did have the dreaded 'fuel into oil' leaks when I first got it and have replaced the rubber plug in the injector body, all the copper fuel line washers and the fuel pump dowty type washers. And it all seems pretty tight now. I never see any signs of a drip when I pull a cover and during the brief running periods of an hour or so under load, the level is staying level and not creeping up. I check it after shutting down and leaving it for at least an hour. I'm not sure that the leaks ever completely stop but I'm pretty content right now with it. Humidity is another problem. Of course here in the tropics we have loads of it, bucket loads, you could say and I don't keep the tank full of diesel but keep it in a sealed jerry can to try and limit the amount of moisture contamination. It would take months for me to use a full tank load. If I was running for long periods daily I'm sure all would be fine. Each weekend I have been loading it for an hour and everything has been fine, starting easily and no oil level rise. Fingers crossed it continues in a similar vein for years to come  :)

Blue