Author Topic: Exhaust System Thread Sealant  (Read 3856 times)

Listerational

• View Profile
Exhaust System Thread Sealant
« on: August 16, 2014, 12:27:04 AM »
Hello,

I have set up my Listeroid 10/1 in my garage. I am using various sections of 2" rigid pipe as the muffler system. The system works good thanks to all of the advice given to me by this forum. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good thread sealant for these 2" rigid threads? I called Jeggs Automotive and they could not find anything rated over a temperature of 500 degrees F. I have a tube of 'RUTLAND BUFF' Fireplace Mortar which is rated at 2000 degrees F. However it is rated for mortar and brick only. Has anyone had any experience with this type of problem and can possibly make some recommendations?

Thanks for all of the help.

Jim

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust System Thread Sealant
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »
sodium silicate other wise known as muffler patch. mix with water to form a paste and apply. used for ever on steam lines ect.
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:37:41 AM »
Do you have a FLEX section in your line ?

My pipe temps on listeroid 6/1 are about 320F at the outlet, and cooler as you progress away from the engine.   Many silicones are good to 400F easily.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:40:53 AM »
I use the copper filled silicone (high temp) on my exhaust fittings- no problems.

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »
Thanks for the helpful advice. I do have a flex piece on there thanks to your earlier advice. I spoke with a boiler tech friend of mine and he recommends coating the threads with 'Hercules' brand 'Pro-Dope' and plumbers tape. He believes that since the fumes are exhausting there is not that much pressure to worry about. There is a 12' vertical rise on the muffler system so I can also count on chimney effect to draw the fumes up and out with not much sideways pressure. He did not specify 'Hercules' brand but I happen to have it.

Best To All

Jim

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 09:06:47 AM »
Down here in the south, duct tape is popular ;D

If I remember right, the water glass was mixed with another ingredient that it reacts with for the muffler repair putty.

If the threads are well made they shouldn't really need sealer for low pressure exhaust. Modern pipe threads were once referred to as "dry seal" threads. While high pressure gas and liquid applications need sealant, this is mostly done to help assembly (lubricate) as well as to "insure" a good seal.