Author Topic: Another Ruston Horizontal Diesel Joins The Fleet  (Read 18204 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Another Ruston Horizontal Diesel Joins The Fleet
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 02:25:27 AM »
First thing is Peter I somehow missed this posting earlier, sorry. That is a dandy engine you have.

Bruce, Have you ever been up close and personal with a 15 or 17 HP R-H elevator engine? They are flat huge as compared to the child's toys we generally talk about here. and not to mention HEAVY and a lot of HP for somebody's off grid set up. Dont get me wrong, I love them and only other purchases and the fact they are easily obtained have kept me from owning one. If there was a practical use they would not be selling dirt cheap I dont think?

Bob Leonard out in Ill has the 17 HP version made into a nice genset but he is having some real  problems with flicker. Here is Bob's engine set at the Oblong show a couple years ago.
[youtube]qbPARM3aW7k[/youtube]
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 02:34:19 AM »
I agree,  15-17 hp is way too much. I was thinking of the smallest Ruston, shown at the beginning of this thread and rated 5.5hp.  Perhaps they're very rare.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 04:58:37 AM »
Dose anyone know fuel consumption on a 17hp engine?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 03:18:35 PM »
I was thinking of the smallest Ruston,   Perhaps they're very rare.

Yes, and quiite spendy

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 01:14:35 AM »
They dont use much fuel at a no load idle.  By taking my main governor spring out I have got my engine down to about 130rpm when its warm.

Gary-my friend has all the ex Saskatchewan Wheat Pool parts inventory, 2 redi racks full, in Canada.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 06:13:34 PM »
The larger the engine, the cheaper they get.

Very few are used for generation over here as we have a very good National Grid which doesn't really give you a chance to run your own genny unless you are out in the wilds somewhere.

I'm just back from 3 weeks in California, didn't see an engine in all that time.

Peter

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 01:50:26 PM »
Peter, You should have waited a week to go home and come east to see the fall expo at Coolsping Pa. 

Went to the Coolspring show yesterday and  here was a small R-H similar to  Peter's for sale. Pretty decent original paint, ran very well. twin heavy flywheels,  $7500 FIRM Owner was asking 10K all summer for it.   If anyone is interested I can provide contact info. Owner/seller is in Quebec Canada. 

Other English stuff for sale
Only Lister for sale was a model D in a sad state of affairs. didnt ask price
 R-H Mark CR elevator engine , bare, no extras looked like it would easily run. 4K
 Huge Crossley town gas engine, didnt ask price.

If a person likes H-D British motive power Coolspring Pa is the place to see it both running and for sale here in the states. Lots of engines on display but not for sale that I did not include here.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
Jean is a nice guy but his prices run high.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »
Had to come back, our new project is waiting:

It's a 6 ton Mercedes 614D minibus that we are converting to a motorhome or RV in USA/Can terminology.

We have also bought a quite rare Stuart-Turner H series diesel genny that will travel in the back, in the engine bay under the bed.

Got to get that ready for Nuenen next year, plus the new Ruston, so going to be busy!

Peter
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:14:11 PM by listerdiesel »