Puppeteer

Author Topic: 8-1 Startomatic no voltage output  (Read 5225 times)

jimboz

• View Profile
8-1 Startomatic no voltage output
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »
Well, she's up and running with new brushes but there's no voltage output.  My generator knowledge is limited at best, but I seem to remember on long dormant machines they can lose their magnetism and need to be flashed with a battery to get the field excited.  Does this ring a bell with anyone?  I don't have the adequate 24 VDC power to get it started but if I push the start button and roll by hand it will motor until my battery charger trips out so i'm assuming at least the series field and armature windings are good.  I just hope the main and aux fields are good.  Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Jim

jimboz

• View Profile
Re: 8-1 Startomatic no voltage output
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
Update!

Sure enough, put 24VDC to the main field and she slowly came up and then zoomed up to 230 VAC!

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:49:19 PM »
Great!
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

phil.woodshed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »
Update!

Sure enough, put 24VDC to the main field and she slowly came up and then zoomed up to 230 VAC!

can you explain what you did and where you "put 24VDC" as I just got my VA running today and like you have/had no power.
Which is the main field?

thanks,

Phil
1961 Lister VA Som, 3X L100 Yanmar 5-6kVA, 3xL100 clones, 1 Petter AD with Markon Head, 1 Villiers Mk10 with Robin Head, Honda clones, 1 Fichtel u. Sachs stamo 282 with Kirschen Head, boxes of bits everywhere

jimboz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 02:37:25 AM »
Well, 2 months have gone by and i've completely forgotten the details of what i did.  Do you have a schematic?  I'm away from the machine and my documentation now but if memory serves, there's 3 fields, main, aux and series.  The series is for starting, the aux is for full loaded regulation and the main provides most of the field.  On the schematic you can see these fields and you want to energize the main field with the same polarity as shown on the print.  I think I put the 24 VDC on one of the big studs and one of the resistor taps in the box on top of the alternator.

Best,
Jim

jimboz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 02:55:58 AM »
Actually, I found a print and i think i went from the main field (SFW) brush holder to the field side of the resistor SFR.