Puppeteer

Author Topic: lister SW2M.  (Read 8865 times)

tony durney

• View Profile
lister SW2M.
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »
Hi all, I am new to this forum and hope somebody can give me some advice towards my engine problem :( I have a listerSW2M powering my 18foot cheverton champ after a couple of hours running the engine starts playing up symptoms like no response from the speed control lever/black smoke/engine dying/ cutting out. the temperature seems fine although the engine oil seems very hot the oil pressure reads 40psi at hi revs from cold depleting to 5psi at low revs when up to temperature. any advice would be appreciated kind regards tony.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: lister SW2M.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »
My guess would be a plugged fuel filter. When was the last time it was changed?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
I concur... except for the black smoke, it sounds like fuel starvation. If it will come back to life after a little rest, then filter/s are suspect.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

tony durney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »
Hi Tom,
Thankyou so much for your advice, you were right. It was the fuel filter. However another problem has occurred, your advice would be much appreciated?
The bar that controls the speed and runs inside the engine has gone really stiff, to the point of jamming. I will try to upload a photo of the bar for ease of identification.

Regards
Tony.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 05:48:35 PM »
It sounds like the "bar" connects to the rack(s) on the injector pumps. I would disconnect at the pump and see if it's the linkage or rack in the pump that is stiff. If it's the rack the best course of action my be to have the pumps rebuilt a boat with a dead engine is a drag.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 09:28:27 PM »
Fuel contamination or old residue may remain in the pump element (plunger and barrel). Sometimes you can remove the delivery valve and soak pump element with some good solvent to get it moving again... sometimes you have to dismantle the pump and get it cleaned out before it will operate properly again. New elements are available as well as replacement pumps.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

tony durney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »
thanks once again guys for your help in solving my SW2M problems, it appears it was the bar that runs into the engine from the linkage had turned 90 degrees causing it to jam in the brass bush it just needed to be realigned into its original position, whether this be through wear or bent over the years but problem now solved so glad it wasn't the pump injectors thanks again guys regards tony.