Author Topic: Waste oil powered Hot water heater.  (Read 10031 times)

guest22972

Waste oil powered Hot water heater.
« on: June 15, 2014, 11:56:06 PM »

Did a test with one of my used oil burners supplying the BTU for a water heater. The Idea is to use the hot water to circulate through a Radiator to heat the house.
For a cobbled together test it went better than I expected and showed there is a lot of heat to be derived from the setup to where its wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9YtPp_jV1c

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: Waste oil powered Hot water heater.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
That's interesting.
From the size and velocity of that flame I'd say it would heat that hot water tank very fast.
In fact a lot of your heat may be passing right through the tank and out the exhaust.
I wonder if you reduced flame to something similar to the gas burner that was originally on the tank you would still produce 40K to 50K btu/hr. while using much less fuel.
I am not familiar with the operation of the oil burners so maybe my suggestion is not possible due to orifice sizes, blower volume, and feed rates.

Nice to have an alternate source of heat in case the SHTF

cheers,
veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:28:38 PM »
Thanks for the video! That flame looks hot enough to melt metal. Do you have a intermittent  ignition ? If you did you could install some flame rollout switches .looks like a great start!

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
I agree with Veggie, that looks like a lot of flame and velocity for such a small heater.  You even see at a few places flame being reflected back down alongside the burner.  This indicates that the flow out of the burner is exceeding the flow capacity up thru the central burner chimney past the turbulators 

How much water is in the tank and how much fuel are you burning per hour. 

Efficient transfer is all about surface area, temperature difference/turbulence(which maintains greater temp difference) and time.  That water heater, I am guessing was originally gas fired?  It had a much smaller burner and used natural draft to pull the hot gas from the burner up thru the turbulators so it was probably pretty efficient, btu in-btu out.  With that ammount of flame, I am guessing you are putting a lot of heat out of the top.  It will probably make the same ammount of hot water in a given timeframe with the burner at the lowest reliable setting as ti will at the highest.  Of course it will use less fuel to do so...

The problem with the Babbington burner I run is getting a small stable flame. Below a certain point it dosn't like to stay stable. For my garage heater I just ran with the larger stable flame(smallest that would remain stable) and made a 6' long heat exchanger...
I havn't tried a burn chamber type like Glort has in his videos. I wonder how low you can turn the fuel and air and still maintain clean stable combustion.  I am also curious how you deliver the fuel?  I see the metal oil pipe entering the horizontal air pipe, but where does it end in relation to the burn chamber? 

The good thing about the babbington is with a little preheat to the oil line with a torch it lights clean.  I keep heating the oil line coil occasionally which is in the heated airstream.  After bout 30-40 seconds of running I turn the outside blower on which forces fresh air over the heatexchanger and it starts delivering warm air immediately. The warm air then takes over pre-heating the oil as it rises to near 300F...     

PS 6/1 - ST-5.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »
Gosh!  I'm so very glad I don't hold stock in the insurance company that accepts liability for your adventures.

Be careful and respect the three steps of life:

You're Born.
Stuff Happens.
You Die.

Casey

OK.  So how small of of one of these contraptions can be made?  Or is there a boiler of some kind that can pick up a big part of the heat your video suggests that's being generated?.  (Store up 1000 gallons of 140 degree stuff once a week or something like this.) 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »
Compared to some of the stuff I do, this really is quite unremarkable.

Yeah, I think I'm not the only one that kind of suspected that.   ;D

I totally enjoy your "can-do" approach and look forward to your refinement of this project or the next new one. 

How about picking up a swimming pool heater?  I have seen them free on craigslist and they do like lots of heat.  And the somewhat static storage under the house really makes sense.  Blue barrels I'm not so sure about.  Just for fun wash out a plastic gallon milk bottle with tap hot water and notice the change in structure.  It's an experiment - not a thesis.

Best wishes,

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
I believe those 350 gal cubies are rated for boiling water.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

richardhula

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »
Why not go the whole hog and run your Lister on waste oil. Video of Russell Newbery happily running on same.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p16K-D299yI[/youtube]

Oil is filtered twice with heating jacket on second filter housing.