Author Topic: Made some smoke today.  (Read 4337 times)

jimboz

• View Profile
Made some smoke today.
« on: June 01, 2014, 03:59:33 AM »
She's back together other than the electrics.  Since I had the crank turned down to accommodate the tapered sleeves the starting handle doesn't really grab the shaft good enough to get a good purchase on the shaft.  I did get a few puffs of smoke but she didn't start.  I spent a lot of the day chiseling and filing the keyway deeper and i have some stock coming monday to make a bushing for the handle.

BTW, when yall start by hand; do you get it rolling with the exhaust valve lifted, then release the exhaust valve and keep cranking by hand or do you stop cranking before releasing the exhaust valve?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Made some smoke today.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 04:08:13 AM »
Decompress (with the exhaust valve tappet lifter), spin up to speed and listen for the injector creaking, release the decompressor and continue with force on the starting handle until first combustion pop, then immediately pull outwards to release the handle. It bears mentioning that the handle and shaft must be properly cleaned and lubricated beforehand so that its pawl releases without binding and so that it does not tend to stick on the shaft. That darn thing can be an arm (or leg) breaker so be careful!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
+1 for dieselgman's comment.  No creak from the injector, there's no need to even consider releasing the exhaust valve.  After that, I'd be making sure the idler gear is properly positioned by checking the valve timing, and then that the injector spill timing is good.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
And Tom taught me that you lean DOWN on the handle, to build RPM's instead of using your back to lift UP.   I get it spinning and do 2 "creaks" of the injector before I release the decompression, and then have 1 grunt to pull it through the compression stroke.  If above 40F, it fires, otherwise, I have to crank through 1 more compression .  If it won't fire then, I take a break for 5, and start over.  Got to look into using a can of sterno to keep it warmish overnight, or something.  Maybe a diesel smudgpot ?  I don't have the electric to use to keep it warm.

jimboz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
Smoke = oil, right? 

On the timing, nothing more to it than matching the O's and I's on the gears right?

jimboz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »
Mike,

Might you use ether for cold weather starts or is there a reason not to with these engines?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »
Much preferable to use some form of supplemental heat in cold weather, rather than ether which has a tendency to pre-ignite and hammer your piston and has been known to break rings if too much is used.

Timing is a somewhat more complicated process... there are several ways of getting this adjusted and several threads on the forum explaining the procedures. The markings on the timing gears will get your camshaft (and thus valves) in time with the crankshaft rotation... the fuel pump timing adjustment is in the tappet length and establishes when the injector will fire. So, two different timing topics to delve into.

Black smoke is normal during startup because excess fuel is being supplied during this period to get the machine up to speed.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:34:57 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

jimboz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 12:21:52 AM »
She runs like a champ so far, I haven't wound her up to full speed yet because its not bolted down.  That got me looking at balancing and mounting threads, holy smokes those were some posts!  Should have brushes next week so I'll be getting onto the startomatic side.