Author Topic: blended waste motor oil results  (Read 59253 times)

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
Re: blended waste motor oil results
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »
Hello I run 80/20 waste oil 80 watse 20 diesel but all of my oil is filtered trough tolet paper rolls they are cheap and you can burn the roll after about 50 gallons. all you need is a canister with a alltread and two plates on each end you must remove the cardboard first though. My 14 hp runs great and has about a couple hundred hours so far. Also where we live there are oil wells everywhere is seems to run ok on crude also.

what is an alltread?
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2008, 01:01:27 PM »
Hello I run 80/20 waste oil 80 watse 20 diesel but all of my oil is filtered trough tolet paper rolls they are cheap and you can burn the roll after about 50 gallons. all you need is a canister with a alltread and two plates on each end you must remove the cardboard first though. My 14 hp runs great and has about a couple hundred hours so far. Also where we live there are oil wells everywhere is seems to run ok on crude also.

what is an alltread?

It's not alltread but allthread .... commonly purchased in 3 ft length at your local building yard/ Home Depot.  It's a rod that is threaded over it's entire length or 'threaded all the way' or allthread.
I have no idea what the actual filter would look like and why he is removing the cardboard.
Jens

OK I understand the allthread now. I thought it might be a misspelling, but I wanted to be sure.

I imagine the cardboard center stops the oil from passing through the paper. Probably feeds the oil into the center and through the paper to the outside or the opposite directiom.

The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

moesoo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
anyone tried mixing filtered waste motor oil with methanol (racing fuel)?  problems with combustion??  problems with complete mixing??, etc??  thanks moesoo.

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 03:14:46 AM »

I dont think methanol will mix with UMO,as methanol is basically an alcohol.

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2008, 03:15:18 AM »

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 03:15:50 AM »

moesoo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2008, 04:17:49 AM »
thanks diesel dave.  yes methanol is methyl alcohol or wood alcohol, but didn't know about it not mixing.  moesoo (jer)

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2008, 05:57:39 AM »
Getting back to rbodell's question about PH....

UMO usually contains some nasty acids and heavy metals.
(One of the main reasons to change crankcase oil at the correct interval.)
Are these acids something that could damage the injection system or cylinder bore over time ?
I'd like to run some WMO, but I'm a bit concerned about the acids.

Veggie

VeggieDiesel

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2008, 06:04:15 AM »
Hi Jens,

I was not aware that a water wash could clean-up used motor oil. (and carry away the acids).
Sounds like a good idea. Don't have a wash system yet built yet.
Have you tried this ?

PS: where would this "acidic, heavy metal, wash water" go once the wash is done  ???
Sounds like a disposal problem to me.

Veggie

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »
Hi Jens,

I was not aware that a water wash could clean-up used motor oil. (and carry away the acids).
Sounds like a good idea. Don't have a wash system yet built yet.
Have you tried this ?

PS: where would this "acidic, heavy metal, wash water" go once the wash is done  ???
Sounds like a disposal problem to me.

Veggie

personally, I thought about that, but the solids get filtered out, the acid gets nutralized and what little water I use for testing gets thrown back in the tank and evaporated. The few solids I get go in a barrel with discolored oily water that settles in drums, sludge at the bottom of drums etc. I take that stuff to one of the local waste oil dumping places like oil change places or walmart.

large Amounts of clear water at the very bottom of barrels that is not discolored, I test for acid and nutralize if necessary and water one perticular section of grass with. That section of grass is just as green as the rest of the yard.

Strangely, few people even use those oil waste dumping facilities. At walmart you have to sign a sheet each time you dump something. Over a 6 month period, I was the only one to sign the sheet.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:13:21 AM by rbodell »