Puppeteer

Author Topic: blended waste motor oil results  (Read 59248 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: blended waste motor oil results
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 04:51:16 AM »
Fliter coloured fuel through bread and fullers earth removes the dye....

Doug

Doug,

You are speaking of bread as in from a bakery?  Where can i obtain Fuller`s earth.

I tried filtering my diesel diluted WTF through a batch of unscented kitty litter a while back and it definitely came out much cleaner and drier but was still just as dark.  I`d like to filter even better than this.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 06:07:50 AM »
Look for some Russians with a gas station franchise.
Best place to learn about filtering the dye from fuel.....

Doug

Elk County Dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 05:00:42 PM »
rcavictum, An old operater buddy of mine said you could get Fuller's earth at an old 9mom and pop) drug store. I haven't checked the one here yet, closed today. Ole buddy said they used the stuff on brakes and clutches that slipping too much. Gene

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 06:24:28 PM »
rcavictum, An old operater buddy of mine said you could get Fuller's earth at an old 9mom and pop) drug store. I haven't checked the one here yet, closed today. Ole buddy said they used the stuff on brakes and clutches that slipping too much. Gene

Thanx ECD.  Where does one find Mom & Pop drugstores?  I`ve never seen any in Ontario.

How does it help a slipping clutch?  I am aware that it is a good oil absorbant so is it that aspect that helps, in which case why would a solvent degreaser not do just as well, or is it acting as a fine abrasive or frictive (is that a word?) interface?
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 06:44:50 PM »
Is Fullers Earth the stuff they use in pool filters?
MLG Gib Key Pullers

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 11:26:55 PM »
You are thinking of Diatomaceous Earth (D.E.) for use in pools.

Fullers earth:
A highly adsorbent claylike substance consisting of hydrated aluminum silicates, used predominantly in fulling woolen cloth, in talcum powders, as a filter, and as a catalyst.

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2007, 11:59:13 PM »
Yes but where can I buy 50 lb. bags of the stuff?
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 12:48:50 AM »
http://www.fullersearth.com/     but you are not going to like where its from   its full of sand

http://www.reade.com/Products/Minerals_and_Ores/fuller's_earth.html
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 12:54:15 AM by wrightkiller »

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 05:20:10 AM »
LMAO...thats a bit ironic.  People are going nuts trying to get the sand out of their Indian engines and now are contemplating importing Indian sand to filter dye out of diesel fuel to use in their Indian engines.   :D
MLG Gib Key Pullers

listerdiesel

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 07:33:09 AM »
Scania used to fit a centrifugal oil filter on their truck engines, with a small direct full-flow filter in the line to the turbocharger.

AlfaLaval made oil and fuel centrifuges, and still do, for bulk treatment of liquids.

Shouldn't be too hard to make something up that processes waste oil to get rid of the dirt and carbon in there.

We have some old Ruston & Hornsby sales brochures on running their horizontal diesels on waste engine oil, seems like it was quite a big thing in the post WWII years, with big garages/service stations deriving all their electricity from generators running on this fuel.

Peter

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 03:21:33 PM »
Scania used to fit a centrifugal oil filter on their truck engines, with a small direct full-flow filter in the line to the turbocharger.

AlfaLaval made oil and fuel centrifuges, and still do, for bulk treatment of liquids.

Shouldn't be too hard to make something up that processes waste oil to get rid of the dirt and carbon in there.

We have some old Ruston & Hornsby sales brochures on running their horizontal diesels on waste engine oil, seems like it was quite a big thing in the post WWII years, with big garages/service stations deriving all their electricity from generators running on this fuel.

Peter

Peter,

Very interesting!  I am running an experimental research setup which I have cobbled together in the past six weeks using  what I know about using waste motor oil and bunker-c in a spray nozzle oil furnace having developed that technology to a degree of perfection when stationed at a remote research outpost in Canada`s Western Arctic bacik in the 80`s. I have been building the fuel processor after getting my recently purchased (thanx AltoPro!) JiangDong 175A engine all set up on a base with 2 kW generating alternator head recovered from a Kohler gasoline plant.

I had first light yeasterday and ran the engine at near full 1800 RPM output (1.8 kW load at 115 VAC, 60 Hz)) for just over four hours on my stock of filthy WTF, All appeared to be nominal until it started to miss and stutter and then I noted my DIY injector heater element had failed open circuit.  This caused my FI temp to drop from 150 C to about 100 C, where it runs with self engine heat.

Today`s work schedule is to remanufacture and install a new DIY IP heater aftwer trying to determine what caused the failure of the first one.  It was eight parallel strrands of #22 AWG Nichrome, all about 12 inches long inside a continuous sleeve of ceranic interlocking cupped beads.  The pack ran non-incandescent at 3 VAC.  Lot`s-o-amps.  60-100 watts depending on supply xfmer tap.

I plan a descriptive expose on this forum once I am able to post pictures.  I use heat and gravity to remove the water and two fuel filters, a water blocking 10 micron and then a 2 micrton Caterpillar filter to clean the fuel oil prior to hitting the IP pump. 

I had given a lot of thought to fabricating a centrifugal filter and still do want to give that a try.

-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 03:29:21 PM »
LMAO...thats a bit ironic.  People are going nuts trying to get the sand out of their Indian engines and now are contemplating importing Indian sand to filter dye out of diesel fuel to use in their Indian engines.   :D

Well that is cleverly poetic alright but NOT my desire at all.  It would cosat me $500+ to import a bag of sand from India  (sh*t it would cost $100 to get it shipped to me from nearby Toronto!) so that is not an option.  I am sure there are stocking suppliers here in North America since thuis is apparently used in huge industrial quantities all over the globe in the petroleum and other industries.

I am not trying to pull the dye out of fuel to cheat the evil taxman for use on the road, so color is of no concern.  Blackness indicating carbon and other floating particulates, many of an abrasive nature are!
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

robc

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 04:17:59 PM »
I've been looking for a source of Fuller's Earth also. Never mind the Indian stuff... apparently it is
mined here in Canada.

I've just discovered it is also called "Bentonite" ... have a look at a link here:
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/mms/cmy/content/2003/clay_e.pdf

The author works for Natural Resources Canada... I'd bet he or someone in the department
could point us to a supplier:

"The author is with the Minerals and Metals Sector,
Natural Resources Canada.
Telephone: (613) 995-2917
E-mail: mdumont@nrcan.gc.ca"

I found http://www.wicp.com/ and have emailed them re purchasing a hundred kilos of Calcium Bentonite

Rob
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 04:26:06 PM by robc »
PS 10/1 Listeroid
78 Dodge 150 Diesel
Cogito, ergo Listeroid

unimogr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 05:38:55 PM »

That's interesting, bentonite clay is used in water well drilling, my father buys it by the skid for drilling overburden, if I remember right I think he gets it for a couple dollars a bag.

It's been a few years since I ever handled the stuff, but I think it came in lumps about 1/2" in dia and not powder, but I could be thinking of hole plug which is basically the same thing just bigger chunks.

These guys carry the stuff, but I don't know if they'll sell a bag or not.

http://www.drillwellsupply.com/home.html

Jason

I've just discovered it is also called "Bentonite" ... have a look at a link here:
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/mms/cmy/content/2003/clay_e.pdf

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 05:03:18 PM »
Bentonite clay is available in 50lb bags from pottery suppliers for about $25.  It comes as a fine powder, like talcum.  Bentonite is amazing stuff.  A cubic inch has a total surface area of something like 800ftsq. IIRC.

It has been used internally and externally to treat various toxicities/wounds for thousands of years.  (Only use internally if sold for that purpose)

I've read that the drawing power of some types of clay is so strong that it has been used to 'pull' solid objects that could not be reached by surgery. 

I heard a local inventor has produced a system to purify contaminated water by aerating it with bentonite.  Removes oils & metals well enough to pass waste water standards.   The place that was using it does steam cleaning of engines/undercarriages etc. so they produce a lot of contaminated water.

If you've swallowed something toxic and can't regurgitate it, a tablespoon of bentonite mixed in warm water will absorb a lot. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 05:28:32 PM by CD in BC »