Author Topic: What do you know about a Detroit engine 8v92  (Read 4862 times)

honda lee

• View Profile
What do you know about a Detroit engine 8v92
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:53:25 PM »
Looking for info and advice, I'm looking at a nice RV from mid 1990s. It has 162k miles on it and has the Detroit 8v92 turbo, he also says it is supercharged and runs great and would take it anywhere. He also said it leaks very little if any but he adds about 1gal oil in 4k mile trip.
What do you know about these engines?how many miles can you expect to get out of this engine without a rebuild? What can you rebuild one for? Is using 1 gal of oil in 4k miles a lot ?
It also has a 10kw diesel gen with a kubota engine with 3500 hr on it. How many hours can you expect to get out of one of these?
Thanks for any help you can offer

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about a Detroit engine 8v92
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:20:28 AM »
Had something similar in one of our fire engines. The motor was rated at 575hp and that sucker was fast! That doesn't sound like many miles for that engine.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 04:14:41 AM »
Well I bought it and it is no dog! It pushes that 40' bus like it's no effort at all. I got a great deal and could not be happier. Now to think through my plans to install veggie conversion.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:52:51 PM »
Hi glort, yes I have a little expereance with veggie. I have a 81 300sd I run on veggie,I also run a listeroid on on veggie. My plan with the new rv is to use one of the lower storage units and install two veggie tanks one will be for filtered the other for oil just picked up. Have a filter system that circulates the oil several times. What do you know about centrifuges? Pressurized ie dieselcraft  or the bigger units, dose it take out some of the glycerin and thin the oil at all?
So far I have been heating the oil with a old gas frier then filtering.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:01:55 PM »
Glort, that is just what I am thinking going with a pressurized centrifuge and run it as we travel. I have found it works best to blend in 10% to20% diesel with my wvo in my mercedes and in my lister. It makes it more forgiving to oil temp. I run a single tank in my mercedes and the tank is not heated so I must blend so oil will flow free lee in the fuel line. All the heat is applied under the hood before it gets to the engine.
So far so good!