Author Topic: Machine work services  (Read 11908 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Machine work services
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:19:12 AM »
 I have 25 years of machine shop experience and with it getting near impossible to get quality engine machine work done I have invested in equipment to preform bore and surfacing work.  We can bore oversize and supply pistons and rings or we can bore and sleeve back to standard. We can provide you with a new bore of superior quality iron with the sleeve process. Send a PM if you have need for these services and cant find them locally.

Off-grid custome's Dursley block sleeved back to standard bore and decked. We use the thick wall sleeve so next time he can simply bore up to .030 oversize.

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Machine work services
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:20:20 AM »
Looks to be some excellent work Butch! Thanks for offering your services!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 04:54:55 AM »
 Looks a good solid job Butch, do you use high chrome liners?    It looks like you have gritblasted the inside of the water jacket, its unbelievable just how much rust and crap accumulates in there in 60 years.

Mark.     

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »
I never knew that Starrett made a vise - and that's no small vise!

So the curious among us want to know what kind of tools are necessary to do this kind of work - and would love to see pictures of the machines, how the work is held down, etc.

Does this create a liner that is similar to the field replaceable liners, or is it pressed into place?  Wet or dry?

Thanks!
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:29:16 PM »
Looks a good solid job Butch, do you use high chrome liners?    It looks like you have gritblasted the inside of the water jacket, its unbelievable just how much rust and crap accumulates in there in 60 years.

Mark.     
Mark,
The liner is from LA Sleeve, one of our older makers of such. The material is Chrome Moly cast iron. This block was full  of rust dirt and block sealers.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »
I never knew that Starrett made a vise - and that's no small vise!

So the curious among us want to know what kind of tools are necessary to do this kind of work - and would love to see pictures of the machines, how the work is held down, etc.

Does this create a liner that is similar to the field replaceable liners, or is it pressed into place?  Wet or dry?

Thanks!

Sharp eyes, LOL. Yes the vise is a 5" Starrett, same people who make the micrometers etc. I have two of them, quite pricey but the best.

The liner is dry unless there is a cracked wall in the block. They are usually going to be 1/8 but can be thicker if need be and presses in place with .003" interference fit. There is a shelf, or ledge left in the bottom of the cylinder so the sleeve can move.

There are several ways to bore the blocks, the popular way is a "kwick-way" type that centers on the old bores. They work OK but all errors that are on the original work transfer to the new work. Our equipment puts the bore centers where I want them to be, not where they were previously.

Just happened to take a video. The machine is a horizontal boring machine. When done boring a facing head is fitted to do the deck work. An extremely versatile machine.
[youtube]9M6cVL-M5Gs[/youtube]

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 11:44:36 PM »
Thanks for the video!  What a machine!

If you don't use the old bore to align with, what do you use?  Do you use the machined surfaces on the outside of the block?  I understand that an old bore could be out of round, or worn off to one side, or done wrong originally.  What I don't understand is how to "get it right".  I assume you do the face work after boring with the same setup, so the face and the bore should be perfectly square?  Do you bore the new sleeve to size after it's installed?

Sorry about all the questions, just trying learn how it's done.

Where are you located?
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 02:10:21 AM »
As for the bore centers and alignment, most of the time a cylinder can be bored using the old centerlines and everything is OK,, in the case of the Listeroids and India and you assume nothing. Remember these are the engines that are routinely shipped with half gaskets under the blocks so things dont go into a bind. The tops and bottom decks are sometimes close, sometimes not,  the stud holes are sometimes lined up with the bores, sometimes not. Years ago I chucked a Listeroid block on a 4.500" mandrel in the big lathe just to check alignments and it was like every operation was randomly done, really that bad. To answer your align with what question, When they are off it sometimes requires a bit of head scratching to know just which surface your going to call correct and work from to correct the others. You also have to be certain that enough iron is present to correct it. You not going to correct much with a .010 over bore. With a 5/52 sleeve you can do a lot. You then correct the top and bottom decks with the bore and hopefully the guy who bored the throgh bolt holes put them close to right.

As installed the sleeves will be undersized, depending on how much so they either get a pass with the boring bar or a honed with the ridged hone. The pictured one happned to be about .015" under so I just honed it.

I am located in north central Ohio

getterdone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
do you or can you make the offset idler bolts? i need two and am sure you could sell a boat load if you had them for sale.
I'm i the process of a new build an need one as I'm putting one together right now.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 01:47:58 AM »
It has been on the list but time is always short. Actually with all due respect to XYZER and his design I have ben working over an improved one that lets you shift it in the exact direction needed,

getterdone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »
do you have a time frame in which you will complete one?
[new design  bolt]