Puppeteer

Author Topic: 8-1 Liner, is it chromed?  (Read 10584 times)

somian

• View Profile
Re: 8-1 Liner, is it chromed?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 03:55:01 PM »
My 1959 8/1 has aluminium piston, and a chromed bore. It is fitted to a SOM set, if that makes any difference, which I doubt.

Ian

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 07:48:34 PM »
Lister CS engines  have been fitted with all types of cylinder. Chromed Plain and sleeved. The only thing to worry about is chrome bore should have plain rings. Plain or sleeved bore can have chrome or plain rings. At least thats what Mike from the parts department at  Sleeman and Hawkin (Main Lister dealer UK) says. Hes the man to ask for if ordering from them he has been there for years and knows all about the CS engines.

Mick

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 03:26:55 AM »
Judging from the pictures, I'm pretty confident that cylinder has been re-sleeved and does not have a chrome bore. I've got a lister cylinder out in the garage and it's blatantly obvious it's chrome. It's nice and shiny silver, just like a chrome bumper.
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

jimboz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 04:10:20 AM »
It's definitely not like a bumper... thanks for that reference, really makes it quite obvious.   

I think it's sleeved too, were any Listers in the era 1960 sleeved from the factory?

I feel convinced it's not chromed, now the question is, should i go with chromed rings? Seems like with chrome rings the bore would wear and I'd have to  bore or sleeve before having to change the rings again but if i had to do that I'd probably change the rings anyway so what's the benefit?

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 09:35:46 AM »
Jimboz,   chrome on chrome is a no no for applications where one part has to bed into another, as in a cylinder bore and piston rings.  The top ring on an unchromed bore engine is often chrome plated to reduce the wear on the ring, as it is operating in the hottest and driest part of the bore.

Mark.