Puppeteer

Author Topic: Engine/Generator Mounting  (Read 9654 times)

Tugger

• View Profile
Engine/Generator Mounting
« on: June 27, 2006, 02:44:50 AM »
Which way would be the best arrangement for the Engine/Generator?

A/

B/

C/

D/

I am thinking that D/ would make the best arrangement..
Any comments?

listeroidsusa

Re: Engine/Generator Mounting
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 03:00:18 AM »
Although any of these will work I recommend mounting the belt drive opposite the governor adjustment and fuel shutoff. It will be much safer to work on than reaching around a running belt to adjust the engine or to start and stop it. I use 4" channel iron for the bases I build. Milling the inside radius of light 2" channel allows the 2" channel to slide on top of the 4" channel iron. This makes a foolproof way of both aligning the generator and adjusting the belt tension. I build my bases with 12" of adjustment, which will handle just about any accessory you might want to belt the engine to.  I also use baler belting for a vibration isolator. Cutting out washers of the belting and using them both on the bottom of the engine and the top of the engine's mounting lugs cuts vibration to a minimum. The baler belting from Tractor Supply is some tough stuff! Mounting the generator on the belting washers also cuts mechanical noise from the generator. Just a suggestion from someone who has done it before many times.

Mike

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 03:00:42 AM »
B and C are dangerous because if you slip or place your hands wrong while cranking or stopping the engine or when activating the compression release, you're standing right next to the belt.  That belt is DANGEROUS!  B and D place the belt far, far away from your fingers, loose clothing and dangling appendages, should you be into that sort of thing.

"A" will make oil changes and fiddling around inside the engine easier, so it gets my vote.

Halfnuts

listeroidsusa

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 03:10:33 AM »
I agree, "A" would be the best. It also will give you the smallest footprint as the exhaust can be run over the generator resulting in a smaller "cube". As halfnuts said, oil changes and service will be much easier with A. Once the engine is set up you'll be working on it mainly from the oil door side, and with the belt on the opposite side from the controls, it'll be much safer.

Mike

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 04:07:07 AM »
Hi Tugger
Sent a reply before but somehow it went off into cyber space.
I went with (A) and just got it in the shed on Wed. I installed an electric start between the flywheel & the gen head. You might want to consider it. Have you tried to turn it over by hand? Whew! And with getting that set up, it will take a few muscles or build them, I'm not sure which. I have the same engine 12/2 Jkson and the 10kw head. I like the idea of Listeroidsusa's with the washer/dampers cut out of bailer belting. I just may pull my installation apart and add them for added isolation. It all helps.
If I knew how to add  picts (like yours) to the reply section I would. I tried copy & paste, no go, came out blank. Then tried Insert...the same. How did you do that? Any suggestions welcome. tks binnie, & congratulations on a nice looking machine. I hope it serves you well.
Let us know your plans, aims, etc. 
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 06:03:46 AM »
I did D with mine and am quite happy with it. Except the fuel petcock leaks. Does any one elses do that? ;)
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 04:33:17 PM »
I did arrangement A.  I thought about it for some time before I drilled holes.  I was sure glad I selected this arrangement when I had to access the engine internals via the crankcase cover.   It has worked out well.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 10:33:48 PM »
Binnie, to get the coppermine photos to show up between the img symbols in your text, you must right click on the coppermine photo to get a url for the photo which has your original file name in it, instead of a file number that you get when you turn on the file information.  It's very counter-intuitive, had me stumped for quiet a while too.

Best Wishes,
Bruce

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 12:42:03 AM »
Thanks Bruce,
I have saved your instructions and as soon as I get some time, I will give it another go. Many thanks
By the way, like your new gen-shed, and your double muffler system set up. I am planning for one inside the shed & a princess type (straight muffler) out side with a rain cap. What did you do to isolate the hole for the exit through the wall...any heat wrap you can suggest? Just wondering. binnie
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

rsnapper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 02:17:55 AM »
I used the "A" configuration on my 28/2 with 24 ST head and put the belt toward a wall.

My stock fuel tank petcock also leaked. I took all that off and put a 25 gallon plastic tank mounted horizontally on a stand against the wall. Still gravity feeds and no leaks.

Rick

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 05:29:28 PM »
Mine is "A" and had no problems.  That included three teardowns while I got it sorted out.

Open flywheels and crankshafts are bad enough.  Then expose yourself to the belt on the flywheel, just asking for it.

Good luck, have fun and keep us posted!

troy

Tugger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 04:13:03 PM »
GuyFawkes
there was another thread, 4 ways to mount a lister and gen head for belt driving, which way to go, various answers were given, and not knocking any of those answers, but not one answer mentioned the original lister start o matic, and you can bet your ass lister project managed that design and came up with the best possible answer, camshaft towards gen head, because if you're working on the camshaft it ain't running and they already sited the head low enough and far enough away access is never a problem, and you'll never spill oil on the head or belts their way either, and of course belts and cranking side are opposite to each other.

I figured this quote would more helpeful in this thread for people starting some project planning...the only way to make intelligent planning is to have as much information on the project as you can get....thanks for all the help everyone..

Cheers
Tugger

Mikofox

• View Profile
    • The Tattered Flag
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 12:27:38 AM »
Tugger, I'm interested in your gantry crane. I assume you can lift the engine with this as well. I want to built something like this. I actually need to, or I won't be able to move my engine off the trailer. Can't believe how heave these twins are.
What profile did you use for the top cross bar?
Skype Me: Mikofox

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 02:53:22 AM »
Mike,
Can you upload a picture of your mounting for the engine and haed? I picked up some 6" I beam and 4" box beam at the scrap yard and I was just getting ready to weld it up. Just curious how you did it.

listeroidsusa

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 03:46:17 AM »
I just built a base for a customer's 20/2 today. I'll try to get some photos on coppermine tomorrow.

Mike