Author Topic: Who's running Petteroids?  (Read 12769 times)

twombo

• View Profile
Who's running Petteroids?
« on: June 27, 2006, 01:09:41 AM »
And what are you doing with them? Especially the ones being "worked"!

Any backup power types out there?

Mike

Doug

Re: Who's running Petteroids?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 02:26:50 AM »
I have one, but its some place between Rajkot and Mumbai in transit to me lol.
The Petteroid is a mysterious creature because thre are so few of them around right now to compared to the Listeroid. At least the Listeroid is understood, and based on the Lister CS engine. Petteroids are based on an entire family of engines starting with the AV1 first produced in 1949 and ending with the final run of AV2 series 3 in 1967 and many types started and stopped production durring the life of the design as a Petter engine.
Petteroids come with bore and stroke combinations that Petter never built and combinations of other parts and accesories that were never built in England.

I ordered a 102mm bore by 116mm stroke all bushed ( no TRB for me thank you )10Hp Petteroid and its going to see some service running an alternator and directly driving a pump on the order of 40-60 hours a week in order to see just what the little machine can do.

Doug

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 05:47:33 AM »
i too would like to hear more about them.

i own 3,,  a 2.6 hp mini,  a 20/2, and a 28/2

the little guy i plan to hook up to a loadhandler alternator, and control the charge rate via a marine controller., i also plan to get some domestic hot water as a biproduct.

not sure yet on the other two, but likely will engineer to fit the 20/2 and use the 28/2 as a spare.
in any event it will be a cogeneration project as i am convinced that co and trigeneration are the only efficient use of fuel for the intended application (offgrid home)

now i just need the time and space to get to work on them.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 06:08:16 AM »
oh i forgot the runtimes anticipated

during the winter months the mini will probably only be used for equalizing the battery bank every week to 10 days, then will run several hours.

during the summer  months it maybe run daily for an hour or two, to bring up batteries and provide hot water.

the larger set will run harder and longer in the winter, and less in the summer months

kind of a ying/yang sort of thing.

bob g

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 11:44:39 AM »
Of those of you who have a petteroid running, how clear is the exhaust went the engine is at idle and under load. Does it smoke much, a little or at all?

I am very curious on this as the other thread on the seriously smokey petteroid looks like it is not, or should not be typical.

Mobile_bob > Who make the 28HP petteroid you got? I never saw one over 25HP anywhere.

Some post on failures and what parts failed on what brands would be great. Also the success stories of people with big hours up on them. I always like to hear each side of the story and help us weed out what engine builders have problems.

emerald

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:50:30 PM »

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 02:56:07 PM »
i would have to look again, but i think the 28/2 was made by metro
which i think i remember having q/c issues, nevertheless i will be tearing it down before
startup, on a "BENCH"  (hint, hint) :)

bob g

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 03:19:16 PM »
 I've got several MPs but only one is currently working.  It's a 3.5HP water pump that pumps hot spring water for irrigation and emergency heating in the winter.

I've got a 2.6HP that I've used for 12VDC generation some, but not much.

Every MP I've run has a VERY smokey start but will clear up under load.   I had one that smoked badly under all conditions and slobbered oil, too.   I found the injection timing was advanced by about five degrees.   I set it to 23 deg BTDC and the exhaust cleared up.

Most MPs start MUCH better with no load on them and a way to close the throttle bar about a quarter inch and hold it there until it catches and runs.

It's best to check the governor linkage BEFORE starting the first time.  That's one of the things the Indians evidently haven't figured out yet.  The operation of the governor depends on the angularity and freedom of movement of the governor adjuster (big-headed nut) and the end of the throttle bar.  If they stick (from rough surfaces, lack of lubrication or that goober paint job) the engine does it's dragster immitation.  It's NOT funny.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

twombo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 03:35:23 PM »
I'm hard on a decision between a 3.5hp or a 6hp from fattywagonman. My primary usage will be battery charging and hot water as well, possibly even running a flatbelt drive system in my little hobbiest machine shop (I have a 1937  South Bend model A lathe plus a small milling machine).

Fattywagonman kindly invited me on a guided tour of his really cool shop and showed me some of his projects last Saturday a.m. and now I have visions of sugarplums dancing in my head!!  First time I ever saw any slow speed diesels in real life at all, and I am pretty amped about it all.

Plugged the output data from the Mini witha PMA into my power spreadsheet and it may be a made to fit battery charger.  I want to make sure that my future needs are well covered, so I am looking carefully at the  the 6 hp model too. My budget will handle one but not two right now or I would get both (I think I have the bug!!).

Mike

PS

Just caught Hotater's post as he was posting as I was writing.  Smokey Petter... is the injection stroke on the the pump adjustable by using shims under the pump base? If so, can the amount of fuel injected be adjusted by adding or subtracting shims.  That, in addition to tweaking the timing would seem to be a way to minimize smoking and or wet stacking/slobbering, maybe?? Justa though regarding the related post.

Oh yeah,  I've heard the aroma of veggie oil in a diesel is reminicent of fries,  not so...while running engines at Fattywagonmans shop, I got a strong urge for popcorn!!

T

« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 03:47:31 PM by twombo »

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 04:43:15 PM »
as for the size of an engine to buy... always go bigger than you think you will need.// it is like building a storage  building.. you think it will be too big until it is finished and you realize it should have ben twice as big/ sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

edutchie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 05:47:19 PM »
We have a 3.5 MP by Ashmawegh here, and haven't learned to like it yet.
See Smoky Petter Post, that's us.
Where would be a good place to buy parts for it in the US?
We are thinking about replacing the injection pump, what do you think?
Here are the latest videos of the thing running...

Indoors (in poor lighting)...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7006995285578850669

Outdoor view of exhaust...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5442474329358118455

The injector misses like this...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3016170886905787342

Anyone have parts for these?
(Or a 6/1 Listeroid for sale)

twombo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 07:38:09 PM »
Sid

I dare say, you are right... Hell, I know you are!! Guess I need to clean out the Volvo!

Mike

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 05:13:26 PM »
I'm running a 3.5 petteroid belted to a delco alt. I charge mt ten deep cycle batteries with it in conjunction with four 92watt solar panels hooked to it. Makes a nice backup system.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 05:20:45 PM »
glad to see the interest in petters pick up,,the next few days i will be at the engine show in denton n.c. with 2 petters a 3.5 and a 6 hp/ if any one would like to stop by and check them out, just give me a call// we already have two members stopping by.. give us a good chance to compare problems.. and meet face to face/ sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 06:22:28 PM »