Puppeteer

Author Topic: Purchased a new Changfa style diesel ZS1130  (Read 42940 times)

mikedell

• View Profile
Purchased a new Changfa style diesel ZS1130
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »
Just got done purchasing a new Changfa style diesel today, its the model ZS1130 30hp.

Not quite sure if it really pumps out that much, but boy is this thing a beast!
I tried to crank start this thing at first and that was a complete joke, the first time I released the decompression it kicked back and now I have a elbow that is killing me lol

I did learn one thing today, about this style engine and that is they are a pain in the you know what to prime up and get all the air bled out. After completing the priming, I hooked up the battery charger/boost  start and got nowhere very quickly. I quickly figured out that you need some real power to turn this thing over. Ran to a local autozone grabbed a deep cell battery and some cables, hooked it up and it fired right up! ;D

When I tried it with the battery boost starter it would just stop on the compression stroke.
Anyways now I just have to figure out a plan of attack to figure out how Im going to best utilize this beast as I'm waiting for my Lister that is presently being rebuilt by another gent on this board. I'm thinking a back up for a back up lol,

I added a video for you guys of the first start, I had it running at roughly 1600-1700 RPM in the below video. Didn't want to run it very long, as I only added 2 quarts of oil, and a gallon of water along with a small amount of diesel for a tryout.

Do any of you guys know how many quarts of oil this model calls for? I couldnt find anything in the manual.

[youtube]HeuFvLHuF2g[/youtube]

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Purchased a new Changfa style diesel ZS1130
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:03:03 AM »
my 195 take a US gallon of oil, i suspect the 1130 takes twice that amount at least
no way i would start and run it with only 2 quarts of oil in it!

did the oil indicator come up?

yes that engine is a horse, and i have no doubt it will easily make 30hp at rated speed.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

mikedell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:13:36 AM »
Bob,
Thankyou for the information regarding the amount of oil this thing takes, Now I'm very glad I only ran it for about 45 seconds total.
I had no idea this thing took almost 2 gallons of oil. And yes it was showing right at the add mark before I started it so I figured Id be safe for a quick start.
Mike
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:15:55 AM by mikedell »

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:57:35 AM »
Mike,  It looks a compact and purposeful motor, if you don`t mind me asking what do they run out at in USD?                                                                                  Is the tank above the cylinder the only cooling this engine has?    I`m  not familiar with these engines but it looks like 30 HP or even 10 would boil the contents off rapido.

Mark.

mikedell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 01:12:31 PM »
Hi Mark,

This one ran me $850.00 and another $340.00 for the shipping.
And your right, I have plans to ditch the cooling hopper and go with a radiator configuration before I really start putting this baby to work.

Mike

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:31 PM »
That engine has similar features to the 1115 I have on my stand by set and  2 quarts isn't much oil to have in it. Mine has a dip stick behind the starter in the area where where I have dawn a box. One of my other China horizontals has one built into the fill plug at the other square box to the left. Have never seen a China horizontal without a dip stick,, somewhere
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mikedell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 02:54:23 AM »
Well this engine was supposed to be sold but the buyer backed out, so I decided to just keep it and continue on with this project. I have a question concerning the cooling hopper. Instead of taking the cooling hopper off of this, I decided I wanted to retain the looks of this thing as well, while still being able to keep it cool. I made a plate from 1/4 steel and wanted to ask you guys before I go much further and cut the other holes, if I hook this up to a radiator with a thermostat, and a water pump, is there any reason this would not work? Instead of taking the cooling hopper off, Id rather go this way if Im going to wind up with the same result. Would love to hear you guys feedback on this.
Mike

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »
A much lengthier time running cold before coming up to 180+ F . Below 180F ring, bore and piston wear is much accelerated. Combustion efficiency is reduced , stack emissions of HC and CO are increased. Crankcase oil dilution with unburned fuel.
    I'm looking at the home brew conversion plate on my Z1100 I brought home last night. No place for a thermostat. iirc Utter power is semi retired and doesn't stock the plate or drive drive adapter?