Author Topic: CS6 Overhaul  (Read 10345 times)

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: CS6 Overhaul
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »
I believe the pitting on the crown is nick named "orange peel" and is caused by a head gasket water leak  ???  Do you see this often Butch ?
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 01:56:53 AM »
Paul is correct and yes I see it a lot because most of the CS types I come across have been run extensively on used oil and other recycled and poorly stored fuels with virtually no prep work being done prior to dumping it in a fuel tank.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 06:28:32 AM »
We very often see this same effect... water corrosion on top of pistons. However, on most of the stuff we've seen, I suspect that much of the corrosion happened during idle periods when the engine was not in operation but moisture had entered the cylinder somehow.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 10:20:47 AM »
Glort, hard  surface  cavitation erosion is caused by the implosion of bubbles  (in a liquid)  formed on a surface under localised vacuum conditions, this causes the displaced  liquid to impact the surface at high energy,  this can damage a boats screw or a water turbine runner, also commonly occurs on the water side of diesel engines fitted with thin, wet cylinder liners, due to firing event resonance. Ultrasonic cleaners use this effect I believe.   Research has shown that very high temps are momentarily achieved during the collapse of these bubbles.

Dieselgman,   another possible cause,  an engines fuel combustion produces copious amounts of water vapour, at normal temps this is invisible and has little effect, at low temps this may condense and combine with combustion or incomplete combustion by-products to form acid, this acid may attack a cast iron matrix and if it gets into the lube oil it may also attack the bearings, the original CS engines are  prime candidates for having had extended cool running periods.  

Mark.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »
I would have the head magnafluxed to look for a crack as well to find the leak.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire