Author Topic: Detroit 2-71  (Read 26231 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Detroit 2-71
« on: June 23, 2006, 03:59:25 PM »
Any one have any feedback on the Detroit 2-71 product form these guys
Thanks
Ken
http://www.affordablepower.com/

solarguy

• View Profile
Re: Detroit 2-71
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 04:55:59 PM »
The 2-71 is not a bad setup, but there are drawbacks.  Do not underestimate the noise.  Once they get worn out, it is possible for them to suck oil past the rings and run on crankcase oil.  Then your throttle has little or no effect and you can get a runaway.

You should also shop around a bit, as there are lots out there.  Affordable power might be the way to go if they offer some sort of real warranty.  If they don't, try ebay, like here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-12-5-KW-DETROIT-2-71-DIESEL-GENERATORS-WHOLESALE_W0QQitemZ7631359616QQihZ017QQcategoryZ106437QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For all I know, this is where they get them.  Maybe you and a couple of buddies could split a shipment.

Anybody know who uses all these suckers originally???

Finest regards,

troy

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 06:40:05 PM »
Thanks for the info
As I understand it & I might be wrong
They are coming out of refrigerated rail cars
I want to run WVO 24/7-365
The setup will be in a normal residential neighborhood
When you say loud how do they compare to a lister
I will be building a separate concrete floor / concrete block shed
So noise will be an issue
I have read about using a gravel barrel for the listers
How many hours between rebuilds on the listers and Detroit 2-71
The Detroit will cost me more up front
If you had to compare the two, where would the advantages and disadvantages be with each?
Lister gen set 10-12 hp
Detroit 2-71 gen set
Ken

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 07:02:08 PM »
If you're in a normal residential neighborhood, you're going to have real problems getting a 2-71 genset quiet enough.  The reefer sets only run at 1200 rpm, so that really helps.  But, a Detroit still has a fantastic amount of mechanical noise from all the gears, blower, diesel knock, etc.

The good part about that is it is relatively easy to silence mechanical noise.  A concrete shed lined with some sound absorbent material will eliminate a lot of it.  You will then need to baffle the intake and exhaust air supply for cooling with a series of 180 degree turns lined with sound absorbent material so the sound doesn't have a straight path out of the shed.

You'll then need a REAL BIG muffler to silence the exhaust, maybe even buried gravel filled drums etc.

Every year we go to the EAA convention in Oshkosh.  They bring in many different gensets to run the concessions, etc.  They are usually the Kohler towable sets and they are in the 'super silenced' enclosures.  You can stand 3 feet away and carry on a pretty normal conversation.  But, that is outside in a big area with quite a bit of crowd noise, etc.  I'd bet that in a very quiet residential setting, your neighbors would get pretty tired of the low drone from even something as quiet as one of them, especially if it's 24/7/365.

At the same time, the Military will bring in some hardware, and have a few of those Detroit powered A/C and power GPU's to keep the display planes (like a C-5, C-130, etc.) powered and lit for visitors.  You can hear those screaming from several hundred yards away.....

Chris

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 07:51:53 PM »
I want to run WVO 24/7-365

This, at a stroke, eliminates everything ever made by detroit, perkins, volvo, etc etc etc, and leaves you with the choice of selecting between a very few stationary low speed engines designed for continuous or near continuous duty.

Being honest, it also eliminates at a stroke any idea of doing this on one genset, you need a pair for redundancy so you can do routine maintenance on one while the other takes the load.

A pair of genuine Listers will do you, or a pair of gardner 2LWs etc.

By the time you're done even if your fuel is free and supplied filtered and ready to run, you aren't going to show any savings over grid light and heat until maybe 2016.

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 07:57:40 PM »
FYI - the reason I bought a listeroid is so that I wouldn't have to always listen to the Detroit 3-71 powering my sawmill.  Even if you can tame the exhaust (and that will be a challenge - the 2 cycle Detroits move almost twice as much air as a 4 cycle) the blower, fan, etc. still generate a lot of high pitched mechanical noise.  I wouldn't even consider it in a suburban area. 

The only advantage of Detroits is that they made millions of them and parts are reasonable.  They are kind of apples and oranges when it comes to noise - choose one:  a) high pitched scream  b)  deep, vibrating thud. 

I think b) would be easier to live with.
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 10:56:24 PM »
well my 2 cents worth, on detroits
(having been certified by detroit for 53,71 and 92 series in 1978, and having built, rebuilt hundreds of them)

the 2-71 at 1200 rpm won't be nearly as bad as one at 2100 and full load, but it will still be several times louder than any lister big or small.
they would be a bear to tame in a residential area, can it be done, probably but at a considerable expense of time and effort.

aside from that, the engines are designed to run for a very long time, and parts will likely always be available.

also it is fair to note that the detroit has probably twice the working parts of anyother diesel engine, and likely 10 times the working parts of a lister!
the cylinder head alone probably has a hundred parts, including all the hex plugs.  the govenors are finicky to get setup right, you will learn all about air gaps if you
mess with them at all, get it wrong and no power. the air gap is around 1.5 thousands at 1100rpm iirc.

blowers are almost a science all unto their own, and i would not recommend anyone try and do one himself. spec tooling here

even installing liners, and pistons take special tools to do it right, do it wrong and it uses oil.

the airbox has drain tubes, and the detroit will vent not only air but partially unburned fuel and oil, makes a mess. dont even think about plugging them, that is asking for a runaway
engine.

i probably would not recommend one to anyone that is not versed in detroit 2 strokes, and qualified mechanics are few and far between unless you live around
marine application.  the rest of the country detroit mechanics have faded away, as the last 92 series was installed in trucks back in the mid 80's the 71 series predates that.

i have seen them, and have been tempted to get one too. but i am not anticipating more than a 2 hour run per day, out in the country, and i have extensive experience with these engines.  if it werent for these factors i wouldnt even think about it.

if one accepts a lister to be butt simple, the detroit is its evil alter ego :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

GIII

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 03:54:23 AM »
The 2-71 is a remarkable engine and parts are to be found cheaply everywhere, BUT one can not even comptemplate the noise that issues forth from such a small package when forced to contend with 24 hours a day.  We actually use a Lister clone and generator on a vintage tugboat and relagate the 2-71 Delco plant to standby because of the noise.  The Lister clone actually has far fewer leaks and drips than the 2-71 also.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 04:09:51 AM »
good point on the leak issue

alot of folks get all up in arms re leaks on the listeroids, consider this

detroits 2 cycle engines had a horrible reputation as oil leakers, never had to paint them, they would never rust

cummins had their fun with the v/vt-903,, it was a leaker that surpassed detroit in that arena..

cat has their fun with oil cooler housing on their 3126 series engines

navistar has had their front cover issues

mack has there issues

the list goes on and on, some worse than others, it is almost a fact of life that some will leak and will always leak

they aint ever going to be a swiss watch

"ever see a detroit that didnt leak?  if you do it aint got oil in the pan!"

bob g

otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 05:29:44 AM »
Vintage Tug?  Post some pictures!

Halfnuts

GIII

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 02:15:57 PM »
I guess it would be OTHER slow speed diesels.  The main engine is a 400HP, 300 RPM Atlas Imperial 6 cylinder.  How about a link to the web site instead of posting pictures?

http://ghcoates.com/Tugboat.htm

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 06:55:34 PM »
just had to add my 2 pennies. the 71 series are screemers they run best spooled up they usually run for years and years. have done minor repairs on many. a friend of mine schooled by detriot told me three things about them. for what its worth.
1 engines dont run away mechanics do.  engines become over fueled
2 if you are going to LOAD a 71 series let her beller
3 he thinks that somewhere in the bible there is mention of something screaming and crawling the face of the earth  (any 71 series)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 07:32:50 PM »

3 he thinks that somewhere in the bible there is mention of something screaming and crawling the face of the earth  (any 71 series)

nah, that's motorcycles

"and the roar of David / Jehova's triumph was heard throughout the land"

There is also mention that "Jehova drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden in a fury", so presumably God couldn't afford an Olds...

<fx> waits for lightning </fx>
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 07:51:40 PM »
a 2-71 run @ 1200 RPM isn't too bad... Blower chop really kicks in arround 1700... I'm surprized no one has mentioned the 1-71.. although not as popular as the 2 through 16V -71they made a few... BTW the detroit is a uniflow engine... The most efficient diesel in the world is a uniflow.. here's some info on GM 2 strokes and uniflow design...
http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/diesel/chap6.htm

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 04:34:03 AM »
Ill trade a new listeroid to anyone who has a detroit 1-71 or 2-71.  I love noise!
MLG Gib Key Pullers