Puppeteer

Author Topic: How are you pre-heating your WVO before the injector  (Read 17999 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
How are you pre-heating your WVO before the injector
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:15:46 AM »
Hi Everyone,

This is for my GM90 Listeroid:

I now have my WVO fuel tank mounted and the fuel supply lines are divided by a 3-way ball valve close to the Injector Pump.
I am ready to set up my VO pre-heating system and I would like to know what systems have worked for many of us members.
In my inventory I have some 30" long ni-chrome heating wires (120 vac).
I also have a small plate heat exchanger which I could tie into the coolant lines for a supply of 180f heat if needed.
My initial plan was to just heat the injector line with the heating wire an see how that worked.

How are you doing it ?
Suggestions welcome.

cheers,
veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

bschwartz

• View Profile
Re: How are you pre-heating your WVO before the injector
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 05:30:30 AM »
Veggie,
I ran my listeroid 6/1 for several years with a nichrome injection line heater like you are suggesting, and preheating the oil by wrapping the supply line (from the tank to the selector valve) around the exhaust.  http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=6626
I had the head off several times over the years for leaking head gaskets (original type) until I started using the gaskets-to-go type.
Each time I had the head off, I never saw significant carbon buildup, so I'll call my heating method successful.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

jfgalaup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:19:14 AM »
Veggie,
I ran my listeroid 6/1 for several years with a nichrome injection line heater like you are suggesting, and preheating the oil by wrapping the supply line (from the tank to the selector valve) around the exhaust.  http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=6626
I had the head off several times over the years for leaking head gaskets (original type) until I started using the gaskets-to-go type.
Each time I had the head off, I never saw significant carbon buildup, so I'll call my heating method successful.

Hello,

I use VWO with non pre-heated fuel line.
I added only kerosene (1/5° of volume).
I beginn running the 6/1 (Vidhata) with diesel. After 5 minutes, via a by-pass, the Listeroid run well with mixture VWO (4/5) and kerosene (1/5).
10 minutes before shutting down (at full load), I closed the mixture-line and the Listeroid run only with diesel.
That procedure allow a cold-start without pre-heating in any weather and in any circumstance (but I'm living in Tahiti... French Polynesia, near Bora Bora).

Best regards.

jfgalaup
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:26:56 AM by jfgalaup »

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »
Veggie

I use no form of preheating at all. I use liquid WVO and start and stop my engine on it. I have fitted a thermostat in the water system to get the engine up to temperature quick and keep it there. I am not sure if I could hand crank the engine to start on WVO. I have a SOM with electric start and sometimes it does take a bit of cranking.

Mick

tyssniffen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:57:19 AM »
this is an old thread, but I'll throw in here.   

I do exactly what jfgalaup does, I run my WVO along an extended exhaust pipe, in an aluminium tube for good heat transfer.  I have the exhaust and tube wrapped together.

what I wanted to see if I could get a reply about was the comment about 'not seeing much carbon build up'...  I have a TON of carbon build up when I run WVO... could it be that I'm simply not getting my WVO hot enough??
6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

tyssniffen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 11:58:34 PM »
wow. you're blowing my mind here.   this is a bit much to take in. 

just to answer your early questions quickly, before going back to read again:

I get carbon build up on my injector... to the point where I don't seem to be getting fuel injected the next time I cold start (after shutting down on store-bought diesel).  I pull the injector and see the baked on, built up black gunk... I clean it off, put everything back together and it gets running.

so, gotta figure in the cylinder too.

and, while my WVO isn't perfect see-through stuff, I've been running veg in my Dodge for 10-12 years, and I'm putting this better stuff in my lister than I do in my truck.   

Now, I have also just started doing some chemical adding - someone gave me some gasoline with a bit of diesel mixed in, so I'm doing about a cup per gallon... so, what, 1 in 8?  Do you think would be a problem, or a solution?

Tys

6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 02:11:24 AM »
+1 on adjusting your injection timing-  this helped with the injector deposits I got on biodiesel and I suspect it would on WVO, as Glort recommended.  I don't have experience with WVO, but I think the physics (thermal dynamics) of what Glort says on oil heaters is correct.  Especially with a low fuel flow rate like the Lister CS, there is no doubt that the injected oil will be injector body/nozzle temperature regardless of incoming temperature. Ditto the fuel injection pump.  Heating is to have fuel flow in the supply lines.

Watch your loading-  keep it at full operating temperature...don't let it run at less than 1/2 full load. 

+1 on water injection-  beats carbon scraping by a mile.  Spray bottle into the intake of a hot engine at every 3rd or 4th 8 hr lube service or when the knock after starting sounds more pronounced works for me.   A nice black cloud comes out of the exhaust.  Water injection seems essential when burning any fuel that's leaving crud on your injector (and elsewhere less easy to see). 

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 02:27:06 AM »
 There were carbon deposits on my injector, similar to what you describe, when running alternative fuels. I never did resolve the issue and gave up. Diesel prices got cheaper too.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

tyssniffen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 04:58:32 AM »
I will work on moving the timing up, for sure! 

are you saying you have rigged up a *water injector* somewhere?  can you post a photo?

and /or

+1 on water injection-  beats carbon scraping by a mile.  Spray bottle into the intake of a hot engine at every 3rd or 4th 8 hr lube service or when the knock after starting sounds more pronounced works for me.   A nice black cloud comes out of the exhaust.  Water injection seems essential when burning any fuel that's leaving crud on your injector (and elsewhere less easy to see). 

into the AIR intake?  and just like, a spray from a squirt bottle??

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 08:35:19 PM »
I've been using a spray bottle, I wait till the engine is well heated and running at load, then spend a couple minutes spritzing the intake.  If I time it right, the intake pulse instantly atomizes the stream, and sucks it in. Otherwise, it dribbles in, and I always let the engine run a while afterwards to dry all the parts out, before shutting down.

tyssniffen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 08:58:19 PM »
I've been using a spray bottle, I wait till the engine is well heated and running at load, then spend a couple minutes spritzing the intake.  If I time it right, the intake pulse instantly atomizes the stream, and sucks it in. Otherwise, it dribbles in, and I always let the engine run a while afterwards to dry all the parts out, before shutting down.

cool. so you're pulling off the filter while it's running? 

I'm going to try this, AND work on changing my timing.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 12:45:10 AM »
I also pull off the air filter for the spray bottle treatment. As Glort explained, that's not necessary, but i find it satisfying.  I do it while pumping up my 500 gallon air storage tank, usually after a pumping water and laundry. 
I do about a pint, as fast as I can hand spray the bottle.  The engine doesn't stumble at all.

I intend to do a proper water injection system on of these days.