Alternative fuels > Waste Vegetable Oil

How are you pre-heating your WVO before the injector

(1/3) > >>

veggie:
Hi Everyone,

This is for my GM90 Listeroid:

I now have my WVO fuel tank mounted and the fuel supply lines are divided by a 3-way ball valve close to the Injector Pump.
I am ready to set up my VO pre-heating system and I would like to know what systems have worked for many of us members.
In my inventory I have some 30" long ni-chrome heating wires (120 vac).
I also have a small plate heat exchanger which I could tie into the coolant lines for a supply of 180f heat if needed.
My initial plan was to just heat the injector line with the heating wire an see how that worked.

How are you doing it ?
Suggestions welcome.

cheers,
veggie

bschwartz:
Veggie,
I ran my listeroid 6/1 for several years with a nichrome injection line heater like you are suggesting, and preheating the oil by wrapping the supply line (from the tank to the selector valve) around the exhaust.  http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=6626
I had the head off several times over the years for leaking head gaskets (original type) until I started using the gaskets-to-go type.
Each time I had the head off, I never saw significant carbon buildup, so I'll call my heating method successful.

jfgalaup:

--- Quote from: bschwartz on September 26, 2013, 05:30:30 AM ---Veggie,
I ran my listeroid 6/1 for several years with a nichrome injection line heater like you are suggesting, and preheating the oil by wrapping the supply line (from the tank to the selector valve) around the exhaust.  http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=6626
I had the head off several times over the years for leaking head gaskets (original type) until I started using the gaskets-to-go type.
Each time I had the head off, I never saw significant carbon buildup, so I'll call my heating method successful.

--- End quote ---

Hello,

I use VWO with non pre-heated fuel line.
I added only kerosene (1/5° of volume).
I beginn running the 6/1 (Vidhata) with diesel. After 5 minutes, via a by-pass, the Listeroid run well with mixture VWO (4/5) and kerosene (1/5).
10 minutes before shutting down (at full load), I closed the mixture-line and the Listeroid run only with diesel.
That procedure allow a cold-start without pre-heating in any weather and in any circumstance (but I'm living in Tahiti... French Polynesia, near Bora Bora).

Best regards.

jfgalaup

listeroil:
Veggie

I use no form of preheating at all. I use liquid WVO and start and stop my engine on it. I have fitted a thermostat in the water system to get the engine up to temperature quick and keep it there. I am not sure if I could hand crank the engine to start on WVO. I have a SOM with electric start and sometimes it does take a bit of cranking.

Mick

tyssniffen:
this is an old thread, but I'll throw in here.   

I do exactly what jfgalaup does, I run my WVO along an extended exhaust pipe, in an aluminium tube for good heat transfer.  I have the exhaust and tube wrapped together.

what I wanted to see if I could get a reply about was the comment about 'not seeing much carbon build up'...  I have a TON of carbon build up when I run WVO... could it be that I'm simply not getting my WVO hot enough??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version