Puppeteer

Author Topic: lifters not rotating 24/2  (Read 4904 times)

gpkull

• View Profile
lifters not rotating 24/2
« on: June 23, 2006, 02:42:28 AM »
does the cam shaft need removed to get the lifters out?

kyradawg

Re: lifters not rotating 24/2
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 03:52:54 AM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:46:45 AM by kyradawg »

sb118

• Biofuel Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 04:56:13 PM »
Just be sure to hold onto the lifter from inside the casing when you pull the guides out, else the inlet valve will end up in the sump ;)
First love - 1975 Lister SR1, gone to a better place (running a saw bench actually ;))

True love - unknown vintage CS6/1 with SOM flywheels

linkie to the project so far --- http://jestersltd.com/pics/index.php

Lister owners do it at 650 strokes a minute ;)

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 02:40:23 PM »
First thing to do is take off the rods.  Then, undo the little "keepers" that hold the lifters down to the engine block. Then cut away the green paint holding the lifter to the block.  Next you need to make/obtain some sort of clamp that will tighten around the lifter stem above the engine deck while at the same time exerting pressure on the deck to force the lifter up and out of its hole.  It is not a difficult operation, you just have to remember NOT to hammer down on the top of the lifter at any time - it can damage the cam face on the shaft.

John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 02:55:18 PM »
Utterpower sells the lifter guide pullers- makes the job very easy.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 06:58:57 PM »
Bruce was able to pull the guides with a large pair of vice grips and a crow bar or two. The guides got kinda chewed up but it worked.

I made a tool, but then found out that all the guides on the 3 engines were different sizes. I ended up threading my tool for clamping bolts that drive into the guide. Then I drilled the guide to allow the bolts to hook into the guide. They were stuck!

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 07:15:40 PM »
thanks for the 411. new to lister wish id known 20 years ago. am a jack of all trades master of none but did minor and a little major repair on lots of internal comb. engines. i saw the " easypull" on utterpower but he's been sold out. i knew the lifter is not like a v8 lifter it is bigger on the bottom. was not sure if after i removed the guide would the lifter clear the guide bore. i have access to a machine shop so a guide pluller is in order. again thanks

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
chris thanks did not see your reply before my last posting. have tryed visegrips and chizel w/ no go so i can make my puller, pin it as u did and pray. pull the cam if the previous does not work,  or get a bigger hammer than indians used to drive them in with and hope i dont hit my finger tks

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 06:08:01 AM »
I was able to use vise grips to twist the tappet body while lifting.
The exhaust tappet has a top flange that threads off. Then with the tappet body out of the block, the tappet will fit down past the cam into your open hand....or fall into the oil in the sump. :P
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's