Author Topic: Concrete Pad for Listeroid 10/1  (Read 29641 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Concrete Pad for Listeroid 10/1
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 03:56:58 AM »
To lift the engine I use a folding cherry picker and place some planks in front of the slab as a ramp. The generator can be lifted by hand. I've never needed to do anything on that side of the engine since there's almost nothing on that side of it.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 08:48:06 AM »
Listerational,

Rocketboy is my neighbor and I copied his design with some improvements. I welded my I-Beams directly to the steel nursey cart frame, this significantly lowered the center of gravity. This cart is rated for 2000 lbs but could easily hold more. IIRC Bob filled his tires with fluid to dampen what little vibration was left after the Mr X balance method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToXLQTXQ3qI&list=UUQmE6WsFaAbJhjrIL6WlG_A

If you build one, plan on a Grundfos water pump, hunt around on ebay, should cost around $65, although extremely reliable and we never had one fail, buy a spare pump. Three speed pump, run at the lowerest / slowest setting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-2-GRUNDFOS-BRUTE-UP1542F-CIRCULATORS-w-flanges-/360679876160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fa322640

Think through your radiator mount carefully to reduce vibration. If I did mine over, I would probably build a box frame over the unit like XYZer created for this twins. It is nice to be able to move this unit over to a friend or relatives house after a power outage.

Bruce
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:52:47 AM by Horsepoor »
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 12:35:58 PM »

My shed was built with 2x6 roof rafters, and a hole bored through it, for a 2" galvi pipe as a hoist point. It runs about 10' of the 12' shed.  Easily holds the entire 6/1 with mounting frame and alternator (5KW)

Amazing,
Approximately 2.5" holes drilled through 2 x 6 rafters and then a 2" piece of galvanized pipe slid through to raise your assembly.
What do you think your assembly weighs?
Thanks,

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
To lift the engine I use a folding cherry picker and place some planks in front of the slab as a ramp. The generator can be lifted by hand. I've never needed to do anything on that side of the engine since there's almost nothing on that side of it.

Hello Tom,
Thank you for sharing your generator info with me.
You never have to remove the flywheel for balancing purposes?
Thank You,

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
Listerational,

Rocketboy is my neighbor and I copied his design with some improvements. I welded my I-Beams directly to the steel nursey cart frame, this significantly lowered the center of gravity. This cart is rated for 2000 lbs but could easily hold more. IIRC Bob filled his tires with fluid to dampen what little vibration was left after the Mr X balance method.

If you build one, plan on a Grundfos water pump, hunt around on ebay, should cost around $65, although extremely reliable and we never had one fail, buy a spare pump. Three speed pump, run at the lowerest / slowest setting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-2-GRUNDFOS-BRUTE-UP1542F-CIRCULATORS-w-flanges-/360679876160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fa322640

Think through your radiator mount carefully to reduce vibration. If I did mine over, I would probably build a box frame over the unit like XYZer created for this twins. It is nice to be able to move this unit over to a friend or relatives house after a power outage.

Bruce

Thanks for the help Bruce,
This forum has been great.
I will definitely look into the nursery cart frame for my 1500LB 10/1.
I had never considered a water pump but a little positive coolant flow can't hurt.
I am going to check out XYZer's box frame right now.
Best To All

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 02:49:35 PM »

My shed was built with 2x6 roof rafters, and a hole bored through it, for a 2" galvi pipe as a hoist point. It runs about 10' of the 12' shed.  Easily holds the entire 6/1 with mounting frame and alternator (5KW)

Amazing,
Approximately 2.5" holes drilled through 2 x 6 rafters and then a 2" piece of galvanized pipe slid through to raise your assembly.
What do you think your assembly weighs?
Thanks, 
The holes are only 2.25" - just enough to get the pipe through it, and when drilled accurately, several rafters share the load, I'm guessing if the 6/1 is 750lb, the whole kit is about 1100lb. And as one rafter deflects a bit, the ones on either side pick up more load.  No noises have ever been heard from the roof while lifting.

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »
I believe that works perfectly. With my 10/1 plus 7.5kw st and then framing I would have to use 2 x 8s.

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 06:04:51 PM »
Listerational,

Bruce

Hello Bruce,
I looked at the youtube video and I like it. I can't seem to find XYZer's box frame though. Would you please tell me where I could locate it?
Thanks.
Jim

Horsepoor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 04:07:28 AM »
Here is the link to the XYZer twins http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eOxPXGn6BWo. If i were doing this again, I would build a box frame over the nursery cart as depicted in the video, this would help eliminate vibration. I had to do some bracing and welding to over come the vibration issues.

The water pump allows you to use a smaller radiator and run smaller hoses. I used 3/4 inch and so did Bob. In fact he is using a tiny little Golding motorcycle radiator while I am using something that would go on a GEO Metro, not much bigger.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:11:36 AM by Horsepoor »

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 11:55:49 AM »
Thank you Horsepoor,
I will let you know how it goes.
Jim

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
Hello To All,

I think that I found a good trailer design. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJLYlmWD828My main concern is vibration but this example looks vibration free.
Any advice about how to make a steady and portable generator trailer would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Horsepoor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 04:18:59 AM »
Listernational,

The 2,200 lb rated nursey cart is pretty easy to build. You can see how I welded big I-Beams directly to the frame - very stable.

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2937
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:23:50 AM by Horsepoor »

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
Listernational,

The 2,200 lb rated nursey cart is pretty easy to build. You can see how I welded big I-Beams directly to the frame - very stable.

Nice, heavy duty frame Horsepoor. do you mind if I ask you a few questions about it?
Do you keep your generator on it?
Does it vibrate much while running.
Do you believe that trailering or carting a Listeroid 10/1 with 7.5kw st head can be done safely 24/7/365?

Thank You,

Jim

Horsepoor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Yes, I keep the engine and ST 7.5 generator head on the cart full time. The ST 7.5 is over kill but it lives a very easy life at about 50% of it's maximum capacity. On other posts, I've read comments that the STs are most efficient at about 50% capacity (I.e. Perhaps 83% efficient instead of 82% - anyway it never gets too hot).

As for vibration, my engine is well balanced using essentially the Mr X method discussed here on the forum. If done carefully, it works well. All that weight and all that steel helps smooth things out on a well balanced engine. You can view the videos on Rockeyboy911's Youtube page.

As for moving it. I use the winch to allow the until to pull itself onto a 16 foot utility trailer. Easily moved around on the utility trailer, and over to a friend or relatives house in post hurricane recovery operations if needed. In principle, I suppose the winch could also pull the unit up a set of ramps on to the bed of a pickup truck but this would be a dangerous and a tricky thing to pull off. Overall about 2,000 Lbs and still rather top heavy. If you don't have a utility trailer, you might shop Craig's list. Pulling the nursery cart onto a utility trailer and securing the load should be easy. Utility trailers are so very handy for hauling hay, yard cuttings, junk, furniture, trash, etc. and can usually be purchased rather cheap for a single axle.

I hope this was information was helpful.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:38:45 AM by Horsepoor »

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 05:24:44 PM »
Listernational,

I really like the cart idea and since I saw your design I'm thinking about changing my plans. I was going to put it my Lister / generator on a channel frame with the ends cut upward like an machine skid. I have four industrial casters to mount inside the frame to allow me to move it around the few times I may. Seeing your Nursery Cart, I think it may be a little more stable, although still concerned about it being top heavy. It looks like your cart had some type of torsion tube that probably got defeated when you welded the solid frame down on the cart. Any chance you could post a picture of the bottom side showing the steering mechanism?
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls