Author Topic: 6/1 Balance Vs Design issues .  (Read 10936 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: 6/1 Balance Vs Design issues .
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »
Thanks for the link, 38ac.  I only vaguely remembered your "Bolo" method of measuring the counterbalance weight.  It's a great post, thank you. I'd definately go for a "Bolo" matchup before fine tuning the balance if starting over. I agree, total weight of each wheel isn't important, but proper orientation and matching of two "bolo" counterweights does.

For the guys with no luck on using "Mr X" method, doing Butch's "Bolo" balance first would change things dramatically for the better. 

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 03:20:28 PM »
People misunderstand balance. I've written on in here, quite a bit.

Consider using real, calibrated, balancing equipment and posting the results in IPS. I think you'll find that Listeroids, even when balanced to the point that they don't hop or shuffle around the floor, are still horribly balanced. With minimum IPS readings in the 0.7 range, under no load conditions. Folks, that's horrible.

Video makes the engine look smooth. Seeing it, and better than that, measuring it, in real life proves my point. These engines are not, and never will be smooth.

People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 03:49:28 AM »
People misunderstand balance.

Agreed, and smooth is not a scientific term nor was it intended as such but I have retracted it.
 Not included here but going back to my original posting on the subject the intent was purposely to NOT make science out of obtaining a reasonable balance so  that the process would be within the realm of the average engine owners tools and abilities.  I am not into hype actually, the Metro /5KW set or the DES engine now on a cart,  can be seen and operated by anyone who asks and they may call it as they see it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:07:28 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel