Puppeteer

Author Topic: Help on removing a wrist pin bushing  (Read 11854 times)

Gordon Bryant

• View Profile
Help on removing a wrist pin bushing
« on: May 29, 2013, 03:03:41 AM »
    Hello again I have decided to do a full top end overhaul on my 6-1. In doing so, I need to remove the wrist pin bushing. It is very tight. Is it OK to heat up rod? I know you guys have removed these bushings before, so I wanted to get your thoughts 1st.

Thanks,
Gordon

scrapman

• View Profile
Re: Help on removing a wrist pin bushing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:38:27 AM »
I would not heat a con rod at all as this will destroy the original heat treatment applied , removal of bush is normally by a stepped punch in a press and replacement pushed in with same punch ,and it may need reaming to size once installed.
Peter

selmawp

• When I was young and full off??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 04:35:17 AM »
OK first of all is it press fit piston pin, or is it what is called a floating pin, the first one is press fit in to the rod you need special tools to press it out and in, the second one will have two retaining clips in the piston to keep pin from coming out. So before proceeding find out first what you have.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »
As scrapman said, you need the proper bushing driver and a press is better than a hammer. It will need to be sized after installation also. If making a driver and sizing it is beyond your tools youd be well served by taking the rod, bushing and your new wrist pin to a shop and having the work done.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Gordon Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »
Well to answer Selmawp, The wrist pin does have the clips at each end. Will I still need to press the bushing out? I was thinking of using my snap-on puller with a home made adapter to fit the bushing and press it out that way. Unfortunately, there is not machine shops in my area.

scrapman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
First remove cir-clips and probably the pin will push out easily ,once piston is off u will be able to see if bush is warn out and needs replacing.
Peter

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »
Yes you need to press or beat the bushing out. Even if you mange to get the old one out and new one in somehow it still must be sized?   If I was in your shoes I would leave the bushing alone unless it has major problems and if so I'd place the bits in a box and send it somewhere.  
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

selmawp

• When I was young and full off??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »
Hi Scrapman is correct, also after removing clips and piston pin it is verry well poseble that by cleaning pin and busing that it is still serveble, most times by replacing bushing it wil be nesesery to hone it to zice.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 06:24:18 PM »
Connecting-rod reconditioning also includes use of an alignment jig to get big-end and gudgeon (wrist) pin in a true alignment to each other. Most machine shops are equipped to do this properly - as well as re-sizing the big end.

You can check bushing condition by a visual inspection and also by rocking the wrist-pin in the bore once things are cleaned up nicely. There should be only a very slight clearance on these parts and normally you would not be able to feel any motion there.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:54:43 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 02:30:20 AM »
Listers are fit with floating pins.  That is that there is a close "push" fit into the piston and tight running clearance in the rod bushing.  Wrist pins are quite hard.  The bushing at the top of the rod will wear and wear the wrist pin with it.  The top bushing is honed to fit and the oil hole drilled in at installation.

If you are this far, get a new piston.  It comes with a wrist pin.  Install fresh rings, gaskets, hone the cylinder and do a general top end overhaul.  Touch up the valves.  De-carbon the head.  If the cylinder has issues, oversize it or replace. 

There is no need to beat, hammer, heat, or punch.  A press is the correct tool.  If you do not have the right tools either get them or find a properly equipped shop.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Gordon Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 03:45:59 AM »
Ok guys, you all have more knowledge than me in this area, so I will look for a machine shop and send the parts to them. Thanks for all the help!!!
I do have one more question, if I may. Is there a solution on the market that will clean up the head surface where the head gasket will seal? It's not
pitted, but it is gummy and dirty.

Gordon

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 04:07:57 AM »
We like to use alkali cleaners for any oily or greasy cleanups. Purple Power is fairly common in auto parts stores, ZEP is a common brand name. These dilute and cleanup with water, fairly easy to deal with. These cleaners are good for iron parts but in general are too reactive to use on many aluminum parts.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations