Author Topic: Camshaft end tapered pin  (Read 4384 times)

2ringers6

• View Profile
Camshaft end tapered pin
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:33:27 AM »
Anyone know why a tapered pin is used instead of a roll pin or a straight pin with a cotter pin in the end?

Is there any reason not to drill the hole out to use either option?

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Camshaft end tapered pin
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:39:49 AM »
Because that's how the Brits did such things and its a good system. That collar does a lot more than go round and round on a free ride. It is taking the end trust of the cam which can be considerable given Indian machining tolerances.

Roll pin in a pinch? maybe. Cotter key or spring pin? No way.

Do yourself a favor and use the right part, a #6 taper pin.  Gary at Diesel Electric should have them in stock, if not at Mcmaster Carr the part number is 98390A343   for 1 1/2" long number 6 pins. 1 pin will be costly be forewarned.  

If Gary is out of them and you dont wish to wait or buy from MC I have a bag of them in the shop and might be talked out of one or two.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:43:22 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

selmawp

• When I was young and full off??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 03:49:08 AM »
No way, your camlope and what ever els use a taper pin would come loose in a  blink of an ey. :embarassed:

2ringers6

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:35:42 AM »
Thanks for the lesson.  And thanks for the offer 38ac.  I'm not in a hurry for one.  Still tearing down whenever I can spare some time.

2ringers6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 02:17:04 AM »
I'm starting assembly.

How hard do I drive the new tapered pin in?  When I removed the pin it was really drove in there.  Thought I was going to need heat to get it out.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 03:29:57 AM »
I have had to use heat and sometimes a drill to remove old tapered pins from these cams. Original or Indian copies, both seem to suffer from the same tendency to get stuck in place - a good thing.

A firm strike from a medium ball pein hammer should be adequate to seat the pin in place. Pay close attention to proper alignment though because these can easily deform or gall if the tapered hole is not clean and properly reamed. Special tooling (drills and reamers) are available to make this foolproof.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations