Author Topic: Sock filters  (Read 5797 times)

honda lee

• View Profile
Sock filters
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »
Looking to improve my wvo filtering. I'm wanting input on the best sock type filters and the best places and pricing to get these filters.
At present I am using old gas fryer to heat oil run through filter system for several minutes, then pumping oil out while still hot and filtering once more with paper cartridge  before going into barrel. Thinking of running through sock filter before final use.

Can sock filters be used while oil is still hot?

Thanks for any info Lee

bschwartz

• View Profile
Re: Sock filters
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »
I've found that a lot of what plugs filters at point of use is fat solids.
I have had much better luck using filters with cold oil.  It tends to trap the thicker stuff better, although slower.  The only time I heat my oil for filtering is when putting it through the dieselcraft centirfuge.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
I'm surprised that you're heating your oil for filtering.  We jokingly refer to WVO as grease but just settling out your oil for a few days might make all the difference in the world. 

I have a 55 gallon drum that I pour the "crap" into through a down tube, 2" PVC, that releases about 6 inches from the bottom.  The bottom is where the white almost chunky stuff sleeps and I don't want to wake that dragon.  About 6 inches from the top on the side of the drum I have a 3/4" tap where I pull about 8 gallons off as needed.  Oh yeah, I pour the raw oil through a 100 micron 5 gallon bucket thing I buy on ebay.  The magic purple cleaner from Walmart is cleans everything up as needed if I don't let it lay around for very long.  Everything is done by gravity.

I sell some of it to a local biodiesel producer once in a while.  I call and he's here the next day.  It's a 70 mile drive so I must be doing something right.  This was also true for the oil I was getting a couple of years ago from a restaurant that I would be uncomfortable feeding my dog from their kitchen.  Yes - I do judge a kitchen by it's WVO.

honda lee,

Have I misread your contribution?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:42:04 AM »
Thanks for the info I never really thought about any down side of filtering hot. I really like the idea of PVC taking oil direct to the bottom, that makes sense.