Puppeteer

Author Topic: which is front, back, left and right sides  (Read 4268 times)

2ringers6

• View Profile
which is front, back, left and right sides
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:55:10 PM »
Referring to a 6/1, which is the front, back , left and right sides?
I saw this referenced somewhere, and spent the last 2 days looking for it, and I  cannot find it.
Thanks

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: which is front, back, left and right sides
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
I would think that front/back refers to flywheel sides... I believe that fuel-pump side would normally be front. Left and right would be in reference to front (as you face it to start the engine).

This is inferred from experience with later Lister models and not from any specific CS documentation that I can remember reading. It is possible that reference points were different on the older equipment so I certainly stand to be corrected.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:41:06 PM »
Sorry to add another level of confusion here, but I have always thought of it as left and right flywheels, as viewed from the IP/lifter side of the engine, with the starting side flywheel being the right.  The IP side would be the rear side, and the main access to the crankcase(larger access dooor) would be on the front of the engine case...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Bottleveg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »
I regard the crank case door, water ports to be the front of the engine.
Lister referred to the IP side as the ‘drivers side’ so one would presume, being as they used the term ‘side’, this is the left hand side.
However, as the driver would observe the engine from the driver’s side, this could be the front.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 01:39:12 AM »
There is certainly a lot of room for different interpretations... I think the right track is indeed from the vantage point of the operator (driver).

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

DocDiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 04:25:05 AM »
I too find the driver's side (IP/fuel filter side) an easy way to remember.  Driver's side being where all the action is, like crankin, compression release and IP fuel shut off.  Then left of driver, right and across from.  Doc.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 07:09:44 AM »
Would it be a lot easier and less open to semantical ( not sure if thats a real word but it scans well ) misinterpretation when explaining things to someone not familiar with these engines to say IP side, oil filler side, etc ?

Mark.