Puppeteer

Author Topic: Using fuel from plastic in listeroid  (Read 13530 times)

honda lee

• View Profile
Using fuel from plastic in listeroid
« on: April 09, 2013, 11:57:02 PM »
Does any one have expereance using fuel from plastic or tires in your listeroid?

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Using fuel from plastic in listeroid
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 02:40:41 AM »
you mean fuel created from plastic or tires, not merely stored in them ?

No idea, but if it is labeled and sold as "gasoline" or "diesel", it can be as bad as the 10% ethanol gas is, or have
quirks like Bio-Diesel does (fuel lines, clogged filters).

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 06:29:25 PM »
I've heard that Styrofoam will desolve into bio-diesel and that up to 15% can be added to the fuel. I haven't had the guts to try it though.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
Does any one have expereance using fuel from plastic or tires in your listeroid?
I watched some youtube videos last year where some guys in an eastern european country were heating up old clear plastic water bottles, then cooling the vapors to create a liquid.  They were running a diesel engine on the results.

Is this what you are asking about?

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:10:10 AM »
Yes that is what I am referring to. If it doesn't damage anything to run this kind of fuel it seems an unlimited source of free fuel. Just the effort to process the plastic and rubber. Not to change the subject but I went to a preppers show this weekend and was talking with a guy selling wood gasifiers when we got to talking about listers. He wanted to check out my listeroid set up so he gave me a ride in his truck powered with wood gas. Way cool!

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 05:47:53 PM »
Thanks for your in depth response ,I have seen on YouTube just heating a kettle over a wood fire with a pipe run off for collecting vapor and liquid it can't get much simpler than that. I was thinking a person mite use something like a chipper shredder  fir tree limes for plastic .
I am much newer to the alternative fuel world but so far I have converted a 81 mercedes sd to veggie with some success the only big problem I have had is the 1 micron filter gets plugged so fast, but other than that it seems to work well.

Have  you had any long term use issues yet? What about injectors or nozzels?

I have also been working on a gasifier but, it is not done yet and I have a lot of projects going to take up my time.
What are you doing to treat your wvo? Are you vaporizing it?

I also have three lister engines I am playing with. I have an 8/1 setup as a gen set and have been running a mix of about  20% diesel 80% wvo and so far it seems to work great! But I'm guessing I have somewhere around 100 hrs on it
I just got a 25/2 listeroid off ebay I'm hoping to setup as a gen set. So far it still in the shipping creat.
The only real lister I have is a hr3 gen set I found on Craigslist  I have gotten the engine to run very well but the generator was wired for 230/460 and as my luck would have it the wiring is not typical had I'm having some trouble  getting it wired correctly for 120/240
I am doing a off grid set up and hope to use the most fuel efficient  one for my bigger power loads.

I would really like to see some pics of your set up it may help me with my project.
Thanks Lee

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 04:32:19 AM »
So are you using a single tank system on your auto or a two tank system?

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Glort,   I have never used veg oil but have tried about every other waste flammable liquid,  in your third paragraph you say that even after cleaning the tank out you were getting black streaky crap turning up, could this be the result of veg oil dissolving the surface of any  synthetic rubber fuel lines/seals/connectors?

Mark.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »
On the mercedes I have the after market filter that was on the car when I bought it had a lot of that black stuff you are talking about. I cleaned it all out but, it did not accour to to pull the fuel tank to look for more. That could be the thing for me to do.as for myself I am using a single tank system with a tube and tube heat exchanger to heat the oil with engine coolant and I made injector line heaters and added an electric fuel pump. Can you give a more indepth discription of the water injection system you are using? On my lister I occasionally drip water into the air inlet to keep things clean but, nothing automatic .
The prossess I am using to filter my oil is I have an old restaurant fryer I heat up the oil use the filter system on the fryer then pump out the oil and use a fine paper type filter in line and pump into my barrel . It looks and feels very clean. I adden the electric fuel pump because when using 100% veggie oil it would not flow fast enough to run the car up to speed.it feels pretty good running down the road for free on wvo!

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »
Glort,  interesting stuff,  and I agree completely about the overcomplication and parroted keyboard jockey garbage out  there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Harping back to the black gunge,   during a recent garage tidy I came accross 1/2 a pint or so of my sons stale r/c car fuel,    methanol/castor oil/nitro blend,    now this had several   1/8" -3/16"  black globules in it,   these I assume were clumps of bacterial growths.    If these will form in a sealed container in what would be a very pure fuel   ( is methanol hygroscopic ?)   then who knows what will grow in used fryer oil ?     

The problem in our (UK) winter with the more viscous alternative fuels is my assumption that stock size fuel lines and fuel filters will not allow sufficient flow at lower temps to allow the IP to operate correctly,   compounding  this is the fact that most vehicle engines here do not have a seperate lift pump and depend on the IPs internal vane pump to draw fuel,   in higher mileage vehicles this pump can become worn and until diagnosed this can send you nuts with filter changes, suspected air leaks etc,    am assuming your Merc has a lift pump an inline IP pump fitted. 

Not too sure about the water injection, it certainly scours the top of the piston and causes pitting erosion in cast iron heads, I have seen this in a few engines that have had extended use  with a cracked cyl head.            In a diesel engine, apart from cooling the combustion temps I can`t see much point in it,  what doesn`t  go out the exhaust will end up in the sump.

Mark.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
Water injection, at least in moderation and only when necessary, is a good way to clean out some of the combustion chamber residue from a dirty engine. We sometimes use this method for clearing engines that exhibit slobbering or excess carbon in the exhaust. Of course the reason for the excess carbon buildup must first be corrected as well.

If not done carefully, indeed the oil can become contaminated fairly quickly, and that must be carefully watched and changed immediately if any water makes it past your rings. The trick is to mist in just enough to steam off and not enough to excessively cool the combustion chamber. Best done only if you can load up the engine and get it quite hot first as you want all the moisture to flash directly to steam.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 10:40:42 PM »
Well,   bacteria seem to grow just about anywhere,  from boiling fumeroles in the depths of the ocean to the edge of space so breeding in diesel should be a walk in the park for them.

Drawing hydraulic oil 30` or so horizontally to an engine fitted with a Bosch type lift pump using 1/4" bore tube was problematic during warm and impossible during cold weather,   upgrading to 3/8" bore solved the problems.            The 1/4" fuel line worked fine with diesel, the viscosity of which unlike the heavier oils  seems to change little due to temperature swings, I don`t know what happens with veg oil although a  3/4" line seems a bit OTT.

Its dificult to say whether adding ULP to oil helps the oil burn at a molecular level or simply allows better atomisation  which also helps the oil burn,  maybe both.
Am not really up on octane and cetane but I think its true to say that octane resists detonation and cetane enhances it,   so based on this scant knowledge would using high octane fuel in a diesel engine be a no no ?

Although I`ve tried water injection to clear smoky engines its never been a great success,  what has had limited success for me, is to spray diesel or kero  (homogenous charge )  down the inlet of a hot and loaded engine, just enough to make it detonate slightly, this I presume raises the temperature and burns away whatever causes the smoking, totally unscientific but a quick  fix.

Mark.