Puppeteer

Author Topic: I Gets To Be The Guinea Pig On This One  (Read 5386 times)

OilCan

• View Profile
I Gets To Be The Guinea Pig On This One
« on: June 17, 2006, 10:22:29 PM »
Went ahead and took the plunge on a Changfa S915M/ST-7.5 generator combo today.  Looks like
only 4 left out of 10 on Ebay (Item number: 7627444600).  The seller at Motors,Generators &Stuff
name is Mohammed has great feedback and has been clear and prompt in my communications with
him.

I will probably use the 3rd generation serpentine pulleys and coolant plate from George at Utterpower to drive this generator set.  Will also be using a six-circuit Reliance transfer switch (#R30216B) from ReadyPower.Com.

I need to decide what auto radiator to tie into this setup for cooling.  One of the mechanics at
work offered to give me a Subaru radiator, which I know is a cross-flow, but he thinks it can be
modified by sweating on a elbow at the fillneck and stand the radiator fintubes vertically.  By adding
a elbow at the fillneck and extending it vertically with a standpipe and add a coolant overflow to
capture any overpour and keep out the air.

For a free radiator it might work, otherwise I will look for a suitable downflow.

Will also be constucting a generator cart from 3x3" angle, double 2x6" wood sideframes, 2"x6"diameter
1200# caster wheels and small crank type trailer jacks to offload wheels on the generator slab inside
a wooden noise suppressed shed.  This way if the unit needs servicing it can be rolled out of shed
under an A-frame hoist if the need arises.  Will post picks when all it done.

Great info and participation on this site!

Thanks in advance for any radiator recommendations you care to make for this project as well.

G'day

OilCan

mjn

• View Profile
    • My Changfa Generator Project
Re: I Gets To Be The Guinea Pig On This One
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 04:14:30 PM »
Hi Oilcan,

I'm looking forward to watching your progress.  I was lucky to have a friend with an old Chevy radiator sitting in his garage.  Because of the size of the radiator, I was hoping to get away without a fan, but no such luck.  I am very interested in seeing the results of your serpentine belt hookup.  With my direct drive, I max out at about 6500 watts.

Here is a diagram how I have my cooling and WVO preheat hooked to my engine:

Martin
Changfa 195 7.5 kw ST.  WVO conversion http://martin.nile.googlepages.com/
Metro 6/1 DI Listeroid. Pumping water for fire control.
1933 Stover CT-1 hit and miss
1936 Farmall F-12 -- unrestored, still used to mow the field

kyradawg

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 06:38:55 PM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:10:01 AM by kyradawg »

OilCan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 11:59:26 PM »
Mjn & kyradawn thanks for the replies.

Mjn: did you mount your radiator inside or outside of the shed?  I was considering mounting
it externally on standoffs.  You'd think that ol' chevy radiator would be big enough..hmm.  Did
you end up installing electric fans?  Also are you using Utterpower coolant adaptor plate on your
Changfa?

kyradawg: checked out your link for the Morosso Hose Filler, excellent idea!

I'm thinkin the crossflow radiators oriented vertically should put their respective
tanks in a working position and the Morosso Hose filler makes it easier.

G'day,

OilCan

mjn

• View Profile
    • My Changfa Generator Project
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 10:59:25 PM »
did you mount your radiator inside or outside of the shed?  I was considering mounting
it externally on standoffs.  You'd think that ol' chevy radiator would be big enough..hmm.  Did
you end up installing electric fans?  Also are you using Utterpower coolant adaptor plate on your
Changfa?

I don't have a permanent shed for the generator yet, so I opted to mount the radiator on the engine frame.   My radiator is mounted directly above the lovejoy coupler on a frame welded to the generator frame.  I need to get some vibration isolation mounts before the radiator starts leaking from the shaking that it endures.  For a permanent installation I feel that a radiator isolated from the engine is preferred.

Without air blowing through the radiator, I can carry full load for about 5 to 10 minutes before the water starts to boil.  I have heard of people who have angled their radiator to promote air movement, but I could not figure out a convenient way to do that.   For the time being, I am using a plain old room fan.  With the fan on high, and the engine at full load, the bottom of the radiator never gets too hot to touch.

One of the goals of my engine project is "have fun" so I built my own adapter plate in my home foundry.  I also cast my flywheel adapter and thermostat housing.  I'm sure the Utterpower adapter plate will serve you well.

Martin
Changfa 195 7.5 kw ST.  WVO conversion http://martin.nile.googlepages.com/
Metro 6/1 DI Listeroid. Pumping water for fire control.
1933 Stover CT-1 hit and miss
1936 Farmall F-12 -- unrestored, still used to mow the field

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 11:33:17 PM »
One of the goals of my engine project is "have fun" so I built my own adapter plate in my home foundry.  I also cast my flywheel adapter and thermostat housing.  I'm sure the Utterpower adapter plate will serve you well.

Martin

One of the most annoying things on my listeroid is that tin valve cover.  Thinking a cast one about 1/4" thick would be great, iron would be best but aluminum would work fine also.