Puppeteer

Author Topic: Houston, we have lift off !  (Read 5676 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Houston, we have lift off !
« on: February 28, 2013, 07:51:23 PM »
Well she started !! I have about 3  30 to 40 second runs and so far everything seems fine. I did not run any longer because I don't have a cooling system yet. Man, that thing is a beast to turn over. At nearly 60 years old it is a load ! I can see where if I decide to keep it I will HAVE to have an electric starter. I started on one about a year ago but have yet to finish it. Some more runs tomorrow and we will see.  I don,t think I could have made it this far without this forum and everyones help and advise, THANKS ALL !!!!

Gary
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Houston, we have lift off !
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 06:01:11 AM »
Tom told me (and it works) that to help build momentum on the flywheels, to lean down on them, instead of so much pulling up. 

Most people that try to crank my 6/1 up, fail on the first round, and learn there is a knack to it.   

And on a twin, just fire one cylinder up first, and then pressurize the 2nd one.

DocDiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:43:04 PM »
very nice, are you building it as a genset, or for other purposes?  I just fired up my 8/1 hooked up to a generator and it seems to be doing swell.  Starts first crank and I'm  an old 64, Doc.

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
Doc,
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I just wanted to see if I could build it and see if it would run. I have about 5 min. on it now and all seems well. To be quite honest I will probibly sell it because I really have no need for it as I have a 6/1 I'm real happy with. I looked at your post and you have a real beauty in your set up. Good luck with it !
Gary
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »
It looks like you've done a great job.  The Lister slow speed diesel has to be one of the design marvels of the modern world and the twin is the creme dela creme. 

Congratulations!

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 04:44:48 PM »
So how's this project going? Wow many hours on her?

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »
Hey Honda,
I thought I posted some pics mounted on the frame but maybe not.
I built a nice heavy frame and an adjustable slide for a generator head. I took the
7.5 kw off the single I have and guess I put about 20 hours or so loaded with about 5 kw
load.
I know this is not enough load so rather than ruin the engine I put it aside. She has not been
running for a long while......I really need to get her out and put some time on it.

I have a 15 kw head and that is the one that really should be on the twin. It is currently on my
Changfa and it is what I run for the house when I need it. It has probibly been over a
year since I have needed it. My fear is if I tear them apart to reconfigure THAT is when I'll need it.

Have you done anything with yours yet ?
Gary
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30