Author Topic: Benford dumper  (Read 44941 times)

wolfie

• View Profile
Benford dumper
« on: February 20, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »
Hi, I have got a 1970"s Benford dumper. the dumper refuses to start. I have fuel through to the injector, but wont start. I even tried to bump start it, still wont fire up! any body got any ideas? cherrs. :embarassed:

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Benford dumper
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »
Assuming the fuel is clean and fresh, the only other ingredient necessary is compression. A few shots of motor oil down the injector port may help. What are the symptoms.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

wolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »
The decompression lever is broken off, and I only have the roll pin left. I am having trouble decompressing the engine a I move the pin away from me or even towards me , its difficut to spin as it is not decompressing . could i take the rocker cover off to check why  its not decompressing? I will put a few drops of oil inthe injector port. when I check the injector it has dark wet oil on it , is thatok?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:42:24 AM »
Engine model??? The decompressor lever is designed to just crack open the exhaust valve... be sure to be careful with any adjustments as it is possible to make contact (valve to piston crown) and create more problems.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

wolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »
Thanks , model is BA1.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »
The BA range has a clockwork decompressor, so once you set the decompressor to the correct position. You just need to wind the engine over.

Take the rocker cover off, so you can get a better understanding of how it works.

FYI the decompressor lever that your missing is identical to the Petter A range air cooled diesel engines, and here is one of these items presently listed on ebay (but you need to be quick as it ends soon): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Decompression-Lever-for-Lister-Engine-/261169476462?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Commercial_Vehicles_ET&hash=item3ccee9f36e

PM me if you need any BA parts as I have alot of the smaller items, which I aquired recently from someone, who used to run these engines on drain jetting machines.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »
What I don't understand yet is, even thought the decompressor is damaged, can it be cranked at a reasonable speed? Any smoke? Hard to crank always or just the compression stroke? Has the injectors been bled? Has the spray pattern of the injector been tested?????
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
I have got a 1970"s Benford dumper.

Are you sure it is a Benford dumper?, as the Petter engine application guide I have, indicates the BA1 engine was only ever used on Thwaites 'Alldrive 3000' dumper trucks.