Puppeteer

Author Topic: 5/1 rebuild  (Read 2791 times)

iann

• View Profile
5/1 rebuild
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
Hi everyone, not been on here for a while.

Sorry about that, but at 46 I have just been blessed with my first child to take over my small dirty engine collection. He’s now just 2 and that’s how long it’s been since I looked at the engines. Just no time to do anything and toddlers and stationary engines are a bad mix.
Any way, has some kind person got an idiots guide to putting back together a Lister CS 5/1. I completely stripped  it down before William was born and now I cannot remember how to put it back together. They are simple enough but I have new crank, big and little end bearings and don’t want to mess anything up by doing a shoddy job. I have the usual manuals but they don’t exactly tell me which is the best/correct way to restore the engine.

Thanks in advance for any info. Ian
1953 lister CS 6/1, lister B, Villiers XIIc, Seagull 40+ outbourd

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: 5/1 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
George's CD is a good reference guide for the clone engines (and especially their problems)... This forum is also a great reference. Study closely, move slowly, ask a lot of questions.

The original Lister documentation does not seem to be written for the "common man" as it lacks a lot of detail and you have to scrounge across different sources quite a bit to even find key measurements and settings. Folks with mechanical experience would not have too much problem with the simple CS... I have often thought that it would be helpful to have something along the lines of an "Idiots Guide" published. That is no doubt a time-consuming endeavor and I seem to be lacking hours in the day to get my primary work done. Any other takers?

Congrats on the family Iann!

dieselgman
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:37:46 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

DocDiesel

• View Profile
Re: 5/1 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:55:11 PM »
I agree with Dieselgman, Georges cd has a "kind of" shop manual on it.  I didn't find it right off, but  when I did, I found it very useful putting mine back together.  There are also a lot of experienced Big Wheelers here that know these engines very well and are willing to help.  Thank you all who have helped me.  Doc.