Author Topic: Who's Importing Petteroids?  (Read 12976 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Who's Importing Petteroids?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 05:17:19 AM »
personally and from my experience temp has everything to do with two things
breakin and smoking.

listeroids and petters are no exception

for instance big cam 1,2 and 3 cummins engines such as the 400 hp version of the 855ci, smoke like hell even new
or freshly overhauled when cold, and don't get really clean until they are up to around 185 degrees or more.
when i say smoke i mean raw fuel, like smoke up half of arkansas, smokey

they would do that even after breakin, mainly because of the fact that they were a relatively low compression engine.

you have to get them hot, get them up to 190 or so and i would expect them to settle down and clean right up.
i certainly would not worry about a petteroid that smoked when not up to temperature.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 02:42:52 PM »
Hi Emrald,
IMO The mini petters smoke because the combustion cup is just too small for a DI engine... yes they will usually clean up when the engine is hot... this is because the fuel that is being squirted onto the cup of the piston begins to vaporize and combust..  I'd suggest a standard petter and not a mini.. they start much easire and are really nice little engines..  the 87.5 mm bore works well with DI.. if you want it to run even better consider the piston mods I've posted pictures to.. If you run it at 1200 RPM or less a couple of rubber mounts is all you will need.. not a slab of concrete.. I'd suggest belt driving to a 3600 RPM generator.. here's a link to some video of one running on veggie oil.... notice there's not much smoke.. 
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3798179569961011191

Doug

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 05:28:11 AM »
Hey look here

http://www.poweranand.com/diesel_engine1.htm

The electric start Petter.... is mine with the shipping crate cropped and cut out.

Hope the ship its on turns up soon.

Doug

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 09:31:24 PM »
Thought I would give this subject a shake again and see have any new tales on these engines come up since the summer.

Good or bad, lets hear em.

Cold starting on veg oil would be a interesting topic too.

Emerald

Doug

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 04:18:53 PM »
Its a very slow process....
I don't have the time to do a lot at once but here is a quick run down of recent work.

Indian paint doesn't stick well so chemical strippers are only needed on some pieces.

Spare head is stripped cleaned and ready for decking.

Spare rocker box has been stripped cleaned ( casting flash, loose ect polishign parts as needed )
Decompressor was missing an O ring that seaks the arm to the box...

All parts are being ground glass beaded and painted inside with Glyptal 1201 and outside with Cat touch up paint.

So far...

Head near completion.
Rocker box done
Valve cover done
Push rod cover done
Intake, exhaust done
All flanges done
Oil filter cover, service cover done
All line fittings, brackets, accessories done

Things found and don't like:
Lots of metal shavings clung to the magnets in the oil pick up.
Human hair in the rocker assembly and wrapped around push rods.
Dirt grit everywhere, bearing and the journals are probably scratched.
A few tripped bolts and a miss match on the intake port.
Poor preperation of surfaces before painting.

Things I found and do like:
Acceptable machining and surfaces
Generaly acceptable, to suprisingly nice castings.
Excelent quality replacement parts like bearings, gaskets, chrome face rings
Nicely machined and very tough looking crank ( with issue I am getting clarification from form Anand more on this later ).

Thats where we stand

Doug

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 02:41:26 AM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 03:06:23 AM »
There are parts and then there are parts.....

Whats inside my Petter and what was shipped are quite a bit diffrerent as far as finnishing goes. The good stuff is inside usuable stuff is in the crates.

This brings to light an interesting question. If you can get a builder to make an engine with hand picked parts you might get a gem if you just ask for an engine what are you getting?

More of the parts are getting stripped and cleaned this week so I'll post some pictures of "parts" and what my builder calls a premium engines internal parts.

Anand also claims this engine ran for 3 hours on the test stand before being accepted. This sounds about right from what I've seen inside. I think its important if your going to buy an engine or have one built for you that you ask the right questions and take your time before commiting.

Three points I would like to see adressed on Petteroids:
Full flow oil filtration needs to be addressed.
More attention to using selected castings and forgings.
Cleaner assembly and better finnishing practices so nothing is in there before it runs and less goop on the outside with a properly done paint.

Doug