Puppeteer

Author Topic: Adding Citronella oil/tiki torch oil to fuel  (Read 10200 times)

Chris R

• View Profile
Adding Citronella oil/tiki torch oil to fuel
« on: January 20, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
I have been thinking of adding some citronella tiki torch fuel to my deisel.
I run my Lister VA several hours in the morning and evening. Right now the sand flys and sometimes mosquitos are quite bad at these times in the morning and evenings. I have dripped the oil on the exhaust pipe to see if that would do anything, but the exhaust pipe is not hot enough to make any vapours worth mentioning.
I think the tiki torch oil is probably just kerozene or some sort of mineral oil with citronella added.
Does anyone see where say a 1/2 pint per 5 gallons of TTF would caue the Lister any problems? Others have burnt all kinds of nasty stuff with no big serious problems.
If it works I would have a Lister fogging machine!
Your thoughts

Chris R

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Citronella oil/tiki torch oil to fuel
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »
Hello ChrisR,
                    If you go to the "Alternative Fuels" columns of this forum and look under "Other Fuels" a few lines down is a thread from 2008 on TIKI YORCH OIL where a user was trying it.
        Don't think at that stage he came to firm conclusions on it, but a Private Message or email to him might yield further info, or someone here may also have experience with it.   Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »
Although I don't think you will have ANY problem burning the citronella oil, I wonder if it would burn too completely, and not leave enough of the bug repelling components to do what you want.  Only one real way to find out...... burn it.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:34:03 PM »
I have the same thought as bschwartz, it may burn too cleanly to be effective as a bug repellent.

If you aren't getting the desired bug smoke, by  retarding your timing, you should be able to get some smoke while still being able to start. Your maximum load carrying capacity will be reduced somewhat.

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »
I will give it a try and report back.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »
Perhaps you could inject it into the exhaust stream (after the combustion chamber) to create the desired fog.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »
Burning citronella oil in a tiki torch produces a yellow, sooty flame, characteristic of a low air/fuel ratio.  In contrast, diesel engines operate with an excess of air, producing a very lean fuel/air mixture unless the engine is overloaded.  I think the citronella would be ineffective burned in a diesel. 

Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:28:51 PM »
I put a gallon of the tiki torch oil in the listeroid once. Couldn't really tell any difference on the exhaust smell.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:54:36 PM »
Well it seems that the idea was not so good after all. Oh well!

toydiesel01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 01:01:31 AM »
I had some old Citronella in a shed, I tryed it and did not smell anything/ I had no problem burning a small amount
Bob F

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:52:56 PM »
  She would have to be working hard and the injection rate into the over fueled, over rich state to make the Citronella work.

For those of you who want to confuse the living daylights out of passerbys at engine shows etc with odors that don't belong there. Here is a link to some wonderful stuff.
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/oils-fluids-sealer/part-type/fuel-system-additives/brand/manhattan-oil/fuel-system-additive-type/fragrance

More fun that the times we dumped a couple of gallons of two stroke oil into the fuel tank of a guy's car at work. The car would billow smoke and disappear into the shop for days then show gradual improvement. We would dose the fuel tank again when ever we figured the owner needed it.