Puppeteer

Author Topic: Belt Tracking ?  (Read 10297 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Belt Tracking ?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 02:31:49 PM »
Now that Mike has proven the 0.030" of tape method, I'd consider a permanent version of his method by some means.  Perhaps a tape type fix of fiberglass tape and epoxy, sanded with engine running to true and smooth it. Alternately, epoxy steel alone applied and then shaped while soft with a specially made arched scraper.  0.030" at center is not a lot of material.  There's probably some better way to make it permanent that I haven't thought of.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Belt Tracking ?
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 06:27:34 PM »
Mike has a Metro with a micro-grooved flywheel. When I was there we did a lot of checking to be sure the shafts were aligned to each other based on a straight edge across the side of the flywheel and generator pulley. It never occurred to me before now that perhaps Metro salvaged some flywheels where the face was not parallel to the crankshaft by micro-grooving them. Mike it would be an easy check with a square and straight edge to see if this is "THE" issue. It won't be an easy thing to fix, but I just hate not knowing what is causing this (and yes I am very persistent).  :'(
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.