Puppeteer

Author Topic: Smoking trait of the petteroid, can it be reduced/eliminated?  (Read 34007 times)

fattywagonman

• View Profile
Re: Smoking trait of the petteroid, can it be reduced/eliminated?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2006, 04:51:54 PM »
Well the IP should definatly squirt every time the plunger is pushed... If it isn't happenin' then that's a problem... I guess a valve could be hanging up but that's not very likely... I'd squirt a little oil on the valves just to make sure.. if there's some change then maybe??? but the IP issue still needs to be corrected.. 
Fatty

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 07:03:51 PM »
Wow, what a load of information, thank you all! Here are some videos you might find interesting, it's a lot easier and more fun than typing half a pageful of replies. Here are two of the injector pattern, seems nice and clean, no drips, etc.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4636386375578390716
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8216023080972794930

Some of you were saying something about the sound not being quite right, we have another video here with the muffler removed, the sound is a little more distinct, hope that helps.....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-760386850468333043

As regarding the valves, there is a very slight hiss when you slowly turn the flywheel, (on the compression stroke) I don't know how much leakage would be acceptable. When we took the motor apart we got one of our engine shop friends to lap the valves, so they should be ok, or so I'd think. Also they freely slide up and down in their guides, no sticking, scraping, scuffing, etc. I also noticed a very thin black carbon film in the intake when I took the intake filter off, due to leakage perhaps? Or maybe it's normal.

We also have one here of the injector missing, if you look closely you can see the rack moving in, the injector starts to miss, etc.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3016170886905787342

AND THE #@$%& THING STILL SMOKES!!!

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2006, 11:11:59 PM »
Hi Have you put it under load yet. My lister type smokes a lot less afteronly 5 gallons of pump diesel throu it.
Good luck
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2006, 03:47:59 AM »
Hey, that engine looks EXACTLY like the mini petter I had. It runs EXACTLY like mine did. I got tired of that and got a listeroid instead. I never got that engine to stop smoking, but I put a dampener on the governor and that made it run really smooth without a load and slowed it's response some. I think that noise that everyone is complaining about, thinking that it is some engine problem, is just the regular fuel knock that petters make. They are noisy little buggers.
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2006, 04:50:01 PM »
The IP has a check valve at the top... I think yours may be leaking back... this will cause occational misfires.. you could tru lapping in the check valve to get a better seal..

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2006, 05:57:21 PM »
Use the "George Dynometer" 2x4 under the flywheel and put some load on it.
 You *can* let it turn a wheelbarrow tire, but it gets pretty smoky.   :o

How much time is on it now?  It's taken at least twenty hours of LOADED running to seat the rings on mine.

I just got a camera with full motion video on it so I can post pics of my pump starting and runnnig if you'd like.  It's got about thirty hours on it and has finally quit using oil...but it leaks some.   ;)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 12:58:50 AM »
Any updates on the smoke problem?

Would be great to see some movies of loaded engines and how the exhaust looks after the engine has a few hours up in it and ran in some.

Emerald

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 01:26:49 AM »
ooops,  I forgot.  Tomorrow for sure.  I have water to pump.
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 08:28:54 PM »
Video of a running and working MP is done.  Where can I post it?  Anybody got a vid account somewhere?

NO video of the run-a-way half hour later.  News at ten.

mkdutchman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2006, 08:41:10 PM »
hotater,

We got google!
Check out the link, they let you upload free videos
http://video.google.com/videouploadform?hl=en

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 09:12:36 PM »
jack... once a mp run away..it hard to keep them home again/just like kids..they love to run away..but where else can you get that much excitement for free..sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Doug

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2006, 12:07:13 AM »
Excitement like that I can live without.

Doug

mkdutchman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 04:32:17 PM »
I think this thread might not be dead yet..........

It's a long story but we finally got the Petteroid running this morning. Last August, about the time of the last post on this thread, we got tired of waiting for it to behave itself and got a Metro 6/1 from Sam Crosby. (and also 6 more in case folks around here want one) It was put in service (we didn't take it apart, check for sand, etc)and has been running 10 hours a day 5 days a week ever since, without any trouble at all, besides having to replace a gib key. We should've gotten the Metro first and never gotten the Petteroid at all............. >:(

After that we contacted Ashmawegh to try and get  parts, (injector, injector pump) they weren't interested in selling only parts, and they did their darndest to sell us a containerload of their JUNK er, I mean engines, before the EPA regs took effect. This was over the space of 2 or 3 months and who knows how many emails.

Then last week we took the part numbers of the pump and checked with Power Anand, and lo and behold they sent us parts and it fixed most of the problem. The injector is now firing properly on every stroke, except at very low speeds, (I assume that's normal) and we don't have the runaway problem any more. The only issue left so far is it tends to smoke, and we're running it under load now to see what happens.

In conclusion, we now have a Listeroid that we use practically all the time, works absolutely great, and now we also have a Petteroid that we put who knows how many hours of time, labor, frustration in to make it work........and now we don't need/want it.  I think we'll probably sell the Petteroid if anyone will take it off our hands.........parts, cooling tank, accessories  and all.......

Doug

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2007, 01:37:41 AM »
Those Ashmawegh mini Petteroids were junk. I haven't heard a single person who owns one say they have been anything but trouble....

Where did you buy it?
I've been trying to track down the source, but not too many people even want to admity they bought one...

What is the cause of the runaway?
Also something no one has clearly explained to me...

Doug

mkdutchman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 02:50:56 PM »
Those Ashmawegh mini Petteroids were junk. I haven't heard a single person who owns one say they have been anything but trouble....

They sure are that way when they get here...........this one is doing great now, but we didn't use Ashmawegh parts to fix it. And yes, STAY AWAY FROM ASHMAWEGH. they seem to have issues even by Indian standards.

Where did you buy it?
I've been trying to track down the source, but not too many people even want to admity they bought one...

This one came from Joel Koch

What is the cause of the runaway?
Also something no one has clearly explained to me...

I don't know what caused the other runaways, but this one was caused by the governor lever not being able to travel far enough to shut the rack off, it was easily taken care of with some adjustments
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 02:53:32 PM by mkdutchman »