Puppeteer

Author Topic: Oil tank advice needed  (Read 4968 times)

Randybee1

• View Profile
Oil tank advice needed
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »
Hey guys, I'm s..l..o..w..l..y getting my diesel back up system together. Currently I have a multi fuel furnace that will burn oil or wood so I have a 275 gallon oil tank in my basement. I just bought another and have it mounted outside. My plan is to have 3 tanks. This will give me a large supply of fuel at any given time plus I get a discount when I order more than 300 gallons of oil at a time. My 2 extra tanks will be outside, uncovered. I am somewhat concerned about getting water condensation in them and I know IPs do not like water. Do I have to worry about condensation in my tanks that I will use in my diesel or am I just being anal? I have a Diesel Craft Centrifuge but so not see that was a practical solution.

Randy B

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Oil tank advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »
Keep your fuel tanks full, this will minimize the condensation issue. An uninsulated tank will always create some condensation when it cycles through the dew point with temperature variations. Air inside the tank is your enemy. There are good additives to use with diesel fuel to seperate the water, do not use anything with an alcohol (ethanol or methanol) base. Finally use an agglomerator type filter at point of use. The agglomerator will seperate most of the water out and allow it to be drained off. Racor makes very nice ones in a wide range of sizes. They have see-through bowls that allow for constant monitoring of your fuel quality.

I assume you plan on running your equipment a LOT! You do not want a large quantity of diesel fuel to sit for very long periods. Your local climate will have some bearing on how long is acceptable... diesel fuel is known for supporting bacterial growth if it gets enough water mixed in and is in a warm climate. Your filters will clog and the fuel will become unuseable. I keep above ground tanks in Alaska and just cycle them once a year to mix completely and remove all water and debris from the tanks.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »
Keep your fuel tanks full, this will minimize the condensation issue.

Thanks!- but easier said then done. I will break down and get an agglomerator filter.
Randy B

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
Before I had oil delivered I'd add bacteriacide Its a very concentrated chem that will prevent unsavory stuff from growing in your tanks.Best added to clean fuel as if added to polluted fuel it will kill the offenders but plug filters.If you built a simple insulated shed over the outside tanks it would greatly reduce the condensation,as it allows heating and cooling slowly. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
Also if you have a vehicle or tractor that burns fuel oil it will tend to keep your stock rotated.Yes I know some states are pissy about heating oil in vehicles. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:41:11 PM »
Well if it is for longer term storage, you can add dessicant cartriges in place of the tank vents, and restrict the tanks "breathing" when not actively transfering fuel.  This will keep the tank from injesting moist air which condenses on the inner skin.  the dessicant canister connected to the tank will ultimately draw the moisture out of the air trapped in the tank.  I put a rubber cap on the cannister port connected tothe atmosphere with 2 pinholes pushed thru it.  that way if the tank pressure differs too much from atmospheric pressure due to heating or cooling, the tank can expell or draw air so as not to develop excessive pressure.  You will have to open the vent up(or remove the rubber cap when you transfer fuel, but any air will be drawn thru the dessicant cartridge...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.