Author Topic: Xi Xiang Z-195?  (Read 4889 times)

twombo

• View Profile
Xi Xiang Z-195?
« on: June 12, 2006, 09:56:06 PM »
Anyone ever see one of these?  I assume it is some generic Chinese diesel single.  Anyone know anything about them?  The one I looked at this weekend is, reputedly, an old "China Diesel". looks a bit tired around the edges .  It's not froze up, but I had no fuel to start it.  Any idea if generic chinese diesel parts can be used to support it.  Or is it a real cheap copy like the Chang Zou's.

The availability is getting tight on all these types,  and listeroids even more so,  especially on  the west coast where I live! I want a slow speed deisel but it seems A am late into a market that the EPA has put a big crimp in.

Bottom line, any reason to think this above mentioned engine is worth trying to purchase. Does it looks supportable?  The seller wants $500 but I think a lot less is going to be my starting point.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Regards

Mike

OilCan

• View Profile
Re: Xi Xiang Z-195?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 11:56:12 PM »
You might give this guy a try since he gets parts for Changfas' and might have
info or connections for the Xiang:

alzubaidy@sbcglobal.net

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 02:57:01 AM »
personally i dont know beans about that manufacture... but

there is no way that engine is worth anywhere near 500 bucks!

if it was a good runner and not knowing about repair parts the most i would think is maybe 250 bucks tops. Even
then it is a crap shoot, and not something i would spend alot of time engineering around or placeing alot of dependence on.

from what i can tell the changfa is the better if not the best of the lot when it comes to chinese diesel engines, and i would
look harder to find one. Perhaps in canada a dealer might be able to set you up, and parts are more available i would think.

500 bucks for a chinese engine that is long in the tooth, or as rough around the edges as you say is boardering on criminal in my books. i bet you can find one in canada or someone here that has one (changfa new) that wouldnt cost you a heck of a lot more.

seems to me the guy is being opportunistic to say the least.

another possibility is finding an old thermoking unit with an isuzu diesel, some are around 22hp at 2300 rpm and have two govenor settings, low speed of 1300rpm and the high speed 2300 rpm. parts are widely available and they too will live forever, and have electric start, glowplugs, water pump, tstat etc. @1300 rpm they produce around the same power of the 195 series diesel (12hp)

i picked up a nice running thermoking for 300 bucks, starts and runs beautifully, and has full flow filter, bypass filter, primary and secondary fuel filter and a real air filter element. Along with the a/c compressor and all the other controls. they too are stingy with their fuel consumption.

just a thought

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

twombo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 05:08:56 PM »
Excellent thoughts, Bob!

Yeah my impression was about as negative, especially important is not being a Changfa!  Seems like a good parts supply and service  record on the Changfas, the rest look pretty iffy.

Interesting thoughts on the Thermoking, never  thought of that before.

Actually like the Changfa's the best and looking at a 175 or 185 size unit as the basis for a DC generator set for charging my battery bank.

Mostly sellers are now east coast or midwest so shipping costs really get steep. Nothing much west coast these days due to many getting out of the trade due to govt issues!! 300 dollars shipping on a 399 dollar powerplant is a bit ridiculous.

Thanks

Mike

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 06:26:23 PM »
Get at least the 185 or larger, as they come with balance shafts.  The 175 does not.

I have a Changfa 185 setup, and it runs very smooth.  Starts easy and runs very strong.

Pics here:http://power-co.net/ilchris.htm

Video here:  http://n9zes.zippyvideos.com/gallery.z

Overall very impressed with the quality of the Changfa for the $$ spent.  After the first 5 hours I changed the oil and it came out just slightly dark and there were no more than 2 or 3 little flakes of carbon.  There was zero grit, metal particles, nothing.

Chris

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 07:12:29 AM »
Get at least the 185 or larger, as they come with balance shafts.  The 175 does not.

I have a Changfa 185 setup, and it runs very smooth.  Starts easy and runs very strong.

Pics here:http://power-co.net/ilchris.htm

Video here:  http://n9zes.zippyvideos.com/gallery.z

Overall very impressed with the quality of the Changfa for the $$ spent.  After the first 5 hours I changed the oil and it came out just slightly dark and there were no more than 2 or 3 little flakes of carbon.  There was zero grit, metal particles, nothing.

Chris

That's a nice little project!  Looks good.  Did you run it hard at first, switching between heavy load and light load to break in the rings?
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 02:02:49 PM »

That's a nice little project!  Looks good.  Did you run it hard at first, switching between heavy load and light load to break in the rings?

Thanks. 

Yes, I've run it at all power settings from idle to max load.   I did quite a few full throttle accelerations from idle to full rpm to seat the rings.

It runs very clean once warmed up a bit. 

Aside from the noise, I really like it a lot.  With the better muffler and air filter, the noise is tolerable, if not pleasant.

Chris