Puppeteer

Author Topic: Hi ..could someone identify this beast?  (Read 8566 times)

Rob Vann

• View Profile
Hi ..could someone identify this beast?
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:56:55 AM »
Hi everyone ..I'm a newbe and not sure if the pic I'm posting will work so please bear with me..
I bought a Lister 8/2 genset ..It seems to work just fine and plan to move it into my shop.. giving it a once over. I picked up the generator head last week as the entire unit was a little heavy to move in one piece on my trailer...will pick up the diesel end this week. I'm not sure what model I have and would appreciate help. The specs on the gen are 4.5 KVA wich is 4500 watt,8.5 hp at 1800 rpm

thanks..
Rob Vann/Nova Scotia, Canada
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:49:14 PM by Rob Vann »

Rom

• View Profile
Re: Hi ..could someone identify this beast?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:32:21 AM »
A quick guess would be an LR2 but I believe that is rated 8hp. SR2 is 12hp.

Dieselgman will be round in a couple with a proper answer soon id think

Rom

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 02:43:02 AM »
You are probably right Rom, not too many LR2s around anymore...

Rob, please get us the serial number (from the plate on fuel pump cover door). That will tell for sure.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Rob Vann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:50:55 PM »
Thanks guys.. I'll be picking the diesel end up this Friday and let you know the serial number. Will no doubt be looking for a manual and hopefully with some help from the kind folks here, I'll have a better understanding of my new pet project..

Rob Vann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 12:14:26 AM »
Picked the diesel end up today, the ser# is 2525SL210 its's rated at 8.5hp @1800rpm
I suspect the SL2 is the model...any idea when this was built and a possible source for a manual..?
Any known issues?

thanks ..Rob

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 01:06:08 AM »
Yes, SL2 is the model number. We can offer a manual reprint for LD/SL - service fee applies to our reprints to cover our costs. It will not be to modern standards but is the best that Lister published for the model. It is called Instructions and Parts Book... combined with the Black Data Book provides pretty complete coverage for all rebuild specs, parts references, operations and maintenance. You may find this manual online for free - I think maybe Smokstak has one in their archives.

dieselgman

richardhula

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »
Picked the diesel end up today, the ser# is 2525SL210 its's rated at 8.5hp @1800rpm
I suspect the SL2 is the model...any idea when this was built and a possible source for a manual..?
Any known issues?

thanks ..Rob

Looks like it was 2525th SL2 built in 1960 (last two digits added to 1950). Manual available here but you will need to register.

Rob Vann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 08:46:35 PM »
Thanks guys  I managed to find a manual at this Dutch site http://www.opduwer-drukker.nl/naslgwerk/naslgwerk.htm . I think this is the manual you refer to but it sure lacks detail .. the parts list is also pretty sketchy but better than nothing. Hopefully you guys can guide me along as I'm getting into it. At the moment I'm disassembling and attempting to deal with oil leak issues around the cylinders. This has been going on for some time as there is a thick sludge buildup in between the fins. Pic below.

The manual mentions a breather "copper pipe" which (I assume) would run from the crankcase and connect up to the "inlet port" in the head. No sign of these vent pipes. Any thoughts on how the crankcase would be vented? Also mentioned ..if the breather is clogged there is a potential of gasket and seal leaks..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:57:01 PM by Rob Vann »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 10:10:16 PM »
There is one breather tube inside each cylinder head connecting to the inlet ports. This is the copper line that is referred to.
A properly sealed crankcase will run with a slight vacuum as a result, and that is how they keep the oil inside.

The Black Data Book has the finer machinist details and specifications that are not generally published elsewhere.

dieselgman

Rob Vann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 11:46:57 PM »
Looks like that would be under the valve cover, will have a look tomorrow. The Black Data Book is definitely something I need.. is this available in a pdf file somewhere?

The good news is that other than the leak the unit is in pretty good shape.. will make a great addition to my solar setup.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 12:13:15 AM »
There are at least 3 editions of the black data book. To my knowledge it was never distributed to the public so only available from dealership owned materials.

dieselgman

Rob Vann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »
Thanks dieselgman .. the vents checked out fine. I'm pretty sure the problem is missing manifold gaskets. The air shroud was sandwiched between the head and manifolds without gaskets and over time fuel leaked out. The heat probably thickened the fuel and combined with dirt making it look like oil.. Will make up some gaskets and go from there.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »
How is your compression? Both rings and valves will have to be in good condition for proper operation.

dieselgman

Rob Vann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 08:00:33 PM »
My compression tester is for gas engines, but I had the genset running under load of approx 3500w @ 110v  and the power was fine and the exhaust sounded and looked  ok.. Will set it up and run it. The unit seems simple enough to dismantle if required. I'm more worried about the availability of parts. Any idea approx. how thick the manifold gaskets were? tks agn.