Puppeteer

Author Topic: how to make my lister cs 3.5 electric start  (Read 7520 times)

ALPACAMAN

• Off Grid Livin' - lovin' it!
    • View Profile
how to make my lister cs 3.5 electric start
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »
Hi all, I wonder if you could help, i live completely off grid and my my old lister 3.5 (1942 - EX BBC) runs 24/7 powering our house. (has run for the last 3 years with very few issues)
I will soon be swapping over to an inverter system and using the lister just to charge the batteries - is there a way to retrofit an electric start ring gear to the flywheel of my gen head to give me a push button start, ive seen various youtube vids of people doing this but no one gives any specifics of how its done??
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Glenn

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: how to make my lister cs 3.5 electric start
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »
The most successful starter drives seem to be an automotive starter fitted with a hard rubber wheel to turn the flywheel.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
Glenn, if you have access to a large lathe and are a reasonably handy fabricator it`s not too difficult to modify and fit an automotive flywheel and starter, I have done several,  firstly you need to determine which side of the engine to fit it then you need to find a starter (min 2.0 litre diesel vehicle) which will crank your engine in the correct direction given that the starter and flywheel is fitted outboard of the Lister flywheel,   some vehicles have the starter mounted next to the engine some next to the gearbox, out of the two one will be the correct rotation for your setup.
You will need to obtain a  taperlock flange and bush to suit your crankshaft, the flywheel is bored out to accept the flange which should be a press fit up to the flange shoulder, it can then be bolted or if not enough metal for bolts, welded.   Never done it myself but a register turned into the flywheel and the flange bolted into this would probably be as good a job.
The tricky bit is making and positioning a starter motor mounting bracket, this has to be substantial and very rigidly fixed, if not it will flex and the starter motor will jump out of mesh on compression, probably best to allow a bit of adjustment on this to allow for the correct meshing to be set although this is not crucial it just makes an awful noise if not. 

Mark.

Chris R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »
I was able to make my Lister VA electric start by bolting a water pump pully to the generator pully then using a golf cart starter/generator. The starter/generator is only being used as a starter and I charge the battery with a trickel charger.
Good luck. I am off grid as well.

selmawp

• When I was young and full off??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 02:54:19 AM »
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=1156.msg67001#msg67001
 Hi, you might check out this starter, it is made from a chevi and a used one is easy to come by.