Author Topic: Heavy duty radiator with 12 VDC fan & thermostat - Surplus Center  (Read 8890 times)

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy duty radiator with 12 VDC fan & thermostat - Surplus Center
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:59:42 PM »
Nice off the shelf combination but I'm still a fan (pun intended) of computer fans.  Less that 10 watts each and pretty darn quiet which is so very important around diesel engines.

As I wrote on the other forum:

Of course the LED colored ones are my favorite.  Wow!  You could put red ones on the top and blue ones on the bottom with independent thermostats.

Casey
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:15:55 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 04:26:15 AM »
Got the rad today 3-core copper/brass rugged steel frame far heavy-er than the 6.5 gm rad I'm replacing no overflow but easy add on if needed
made in Denmark. very rugged mounting points, 2 pins bottom and 2 -1 1/4" shafts drilled and tap mid way up on the frame.the bottom pins are 12 1/2 inch center 1/2 inch diameter and 1 1/8" long. the steel frame is about 1/8" thick.The drain plug is centered and has a 6mm hex hole for a Allen wrench. inlet and outlet  has 1 1/4" id push on hose connection both on right side top and bottom as viewed from fan side. the fan is 10 blades ~16" dia. 12 volts I need to scrounge some pins to hook it up and determine amp draw.There are holes in frame to support a rad grill if desired.
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:28:06 AM »
took a battery out of a backup powersupply and useing a induction type ammeter it drew around 13 to 15amps, which equates to 150 to 180 watts. but it does move the air!
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

Earl Beverly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:35:54 PM »
Hi,
How do you plan to move the water? With a pump or thermocycle? I have a large truck radiator that I have been thinking to remove the fan cowling, and just let the heat dissipate. Similar to a barrel.
The purpose of wanting a radiator is to run antifreeze and not have to drain the system when the engine is unattended during the winter.
The first failure I had was when the Metro water pump shaft broke internally. The second was a winter freeze (My fault). This week I had to totally rebuild after the oil dipper on the crank broke off and the engine ran afternoon and night with no oil splash. This required a new crank, rod, piston, sleeve, bearings... 
Thanks,
Earl Beverly

tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 02:10:13 AM »
I'm using thermo-cycle and an option to dump heat into a heatpump to help  heat house if needed. the option requires a pump.
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW