Author Topic: diesel truck on WVO  (Read 18941 times)

mikern

• View Profile
diesel truck on WVO
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:14:31 AM »
can a 1984 ford, 6.9l non turbo run on WVO? thanks, Mike

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: diesel truck on WVO
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:33:08 AM »
yes, but for how long? and what kind of maintenance issues are you likely to encounter?

if the veggie is well filtered it will certainly burn in the engine, however you will likely have all sorts of problems with all the rubber parts, hoses, orings, pump seals, lift pump diaphram (maybe) to deal with.

then there will be an issue with piston rings getting gummed up

and then unburned or partially burned veggie getting into the lube oil, polymerizing into a goop that is hard on lower end components

so, if you change out some rubber parts, which likely need changing anyway due to age, and  if you change oil a bit more frequently, and set it up to start and shutdown on dino diesel, and maybe switch to and fro during the drive just to keep things as clean as possible, you can probably get by using it.

you probably will have to heat the veggie for it to flow and make it through the system in cooler weather and definitely in cold weather.

short answer, is yes it can be done, the reality is a bit more detailed to do it right.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
I'm running my Isuzu NPR on about 30% WVO blended with 15% RUG, few ounces of cetene and topped off with a splash of Acetone.  I haven't been doing this long and when the truck is going to not be started for a month or more I fill it up with B20.  Oh, this WVO concoction is blended with B20.  And the truck lives in Hawaii where 85 is really really warm and 67 degrees is my personal witness low. 

I can't see any difference in performance but it's only been a thousand miles or so - hardly getting started.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »
You might find a lot more activity on these forums:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/forums

Both biodiesel and SVO (straight vegetable oil) discussion forums there have quite a bit of information.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

mikern

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 05:12:02 AM »
Thanks for the imput, I've been running a FieldMarshall 6/1 on wvo for 3-4 years not, turning an ST5 generator to power my house, few problems here and there, just got it back running after quite some time off, anyway I have a large stock-pile of WVO, which is why I'm thinking of a vehicle powered that way. I really don't want to make bio-diesel, just don't have the time to do it........and want another choice besides gas. Mike

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 06:14:14 AM »
You might gain some insights by taking a look at the work and development done by Dan MacAmoil with his raw fuel.

http://www.oilcrusher.5u.com/

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 05:09:54 AM »
I have over 40,000 miles on WVO in a '95 Suburban (total miles are 224,000)
This weekend, I just picked up a '94 F250 TD to veg.  Your truck will run well for many miles on a heated two tank system.
Rubber parts are eaten up MUCH faster with biodiesel than WVO.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

akghound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
You might gain some insights by taking a look at the work and development done by Dan MacAmoil with his raw fuel.

http://www.oilcrusher.5u.com/

dieselgman

I looked at his site. All the info seemed to be around 4-5 years old. I wonder what the latest is on this fuel.
One Day At A Time
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on WVO / Living off grid

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »
I will ask Dan about his website updates... I know he is still running his farm on raw sunflower oil that he grows and presses himself. He also has quite a few successful years of operation under his belt and he powers his seed press with Lister clone engines as well.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mikern

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:54:57 AM »
ok, next dumb question, how do I heat the tank on this truck? or can I simply mix the WVO with RUG? thanks Mike

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 12:33:26 PM »
Hello Mikern,
                    The simple answer is to go to the Biodiesel link that Thob posted above, and do LOTS of reading. Look at the SVO threads and the specific vehicle headings. Yours is probably there. A successful heated system is no 5 minute job, so read all you can, do some Google searches and ask lots of questions, and with patience you can succeed. A very good oil settling and filtering system is essential. Only start the project if you have spare time and patience. With a lot of homework you will get there . Good luck,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Hey mikern,

I get away with what I do because I'm in the tropics.  Where are you makes A big difference in how much help your engine / pump / injectors need to process the VO.  So where are you?  How do the temperatures run where you want to run?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mikern

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 02:41:42 AM »
Hi Casey, I'm in , gets WAY cold here. Mike

mikern

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 06:05:59 AM »
Iowa

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 09:56:18 PM »
When it gets down to 67 degrees (personal record for me here in South Kona) I feel justified putting on socks first thing in the morning.  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But it should be warm enough for blending during those months without a "R" in them and maybe until the end of September.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator