Puppeteer

Author Topic: VA "One" Teardown  (Read 24745 times)

Rom

• View Profile
VA "One" Teardown
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:00:14 AM »
Evening All,

These photos are from last nite, I got a bobcat to take it to my brothers house and I couldnt wait to start having a look through this rig.
The unit does not have a head on it, but we plan to remove the startomatic gear and refit to standard manual start for the time being. I have yet to find SoM switchgear boxes so this is the plan for now. Over the course of my orders with Power Anand I have ordered decompression levers and fuel rack shutdown levers, along with governor linkages and springs to rebuild these to manual operation. All original RA Lister SoM gear and original fuel parts and even worn bearings are saved.
We will probably fit the SoM alternator flywheel to an ST5 and rig a golf car starter to the alternator flywheel and start it that way.

Anyways here is a couple photos

Genset Plate

Alternator Plate

Beautiful Insides

Oil quite thick though

Piston and Cam

Was putting PB on most bolts and Gibs since the engines showed up in my yard a few weeks ago. Put my fancy puller on and just tightened it up, key didnt fight, pulled right out.
My brother will start with pulling the head tomorrow if the rain keeps clear, depending on wear we will probably have hardened seats in and new valves and guides.

To Be Continued...

Rom

Rom

• View Profile
Re: VA "One" Teardown Day 2
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »
Hey All

Quick and dirty tear down today, whipped off the fan side flywheel and duct work. Main fan cowl has a crack that will most likely be brazed back together and tomorrow the head is off to the shop for hardened seats.

Main Cowl off

Rom

• View Profile
Re: VA "One" Teardown
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »
With a careful application of heat and a long bar in the fan fins, the wheel broke free and came off without argument.

Amazing what patience and a can of PB can do on high quality cast iron parts.

Rom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:06:11 PM »
Head pull.
Water is from this weeks rain storms, only been sitting a few days.

No broken intake or exhaust flanges either!

VA One is a lil sad, looks like he's been punched in the exhaust valve... Time for hardened seats old friend.

Rom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
Last set for the night, unless I run and get a photo of the old valves, very well worn to say the least.

Barrel and piston face shots, found some hieroglyphics on top!

Fun stuff!

Rom

• View Profile
Re: VA "One" Teardown Valve Shots
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »
Quick comparison shots of the old valves against our new EN-52 Indian Replacements

Exhaust, Replacement, Intake

Loads of wear to the exhaust valve.

Guides at this time seem to be in excellent condition, will double check in the morning before heading to the machine shop to have the seats put in.

Rom

potter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »
Looking good Rom still playing with the gen head on my petter.Best of luck.

Potter

slowspeed

• Spend less save more
  • 12/2 3phase 25kw gen head
    • View Profile
    • Deserthydrogen
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
Rom
Great job on all the info
Please keep it comeing,
It will help big time when we start work on a VA

LISTER 12/2
WITTIE 16/1
IHC 1.5 hp
Gasifier and HHO
Stirling engine
1983 Dodge Running WVO
1983 Benz Running WVO
Home made solar

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »
What's the tin shroud around the intake/exhaust ports for?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Rom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 01:48:07 AM »
Evening All,

Back from the big city, took the head in for the hardened seats. Last head I was involved in we installed Detroit Diesel 92 Series valve seats. This time I think its a Perkins, just depends on whats available. I will order 92 series seats to use for future heads though, only 6 bucks American from my supplier.

Two weeks for the head to be ready, the only machine shop we have locally has only one self trained machinist, the rest are welders by trade, so it can take time, quite a backlog. Gives us plenty time to get the lower half of the engine ready and painted for reassembly.

Paid for 2 ST5s with AVRs and an extra AVR for my ST12 attached to my Power Anand 16/2. Gonna test out how much the AVRs knock the flicker out for myself. Planning for one to go to VA One and the other to my personal unit for either my workshop or my home in Nassau. All these generator related things are from Central Georgia Generator. Will not see the heads until the middle of June maybe, alternate shipping arrangement to get them to The Bahamas.

As for the duct going over the intake and exhaust, looking at the flange on the top edge of it, Id assume it was the beginning to duct the hot air from the engine room. Possibly to stop overheating the air in the room it was in if there wasnt a great supply of air. Suck cold air in, and blow hot out the top or side. My theory at least, only seen the last 5 VAs I was involved with saving with them on before.

No new pics, but more soon hopefully. Engine is so clean its looks like its gonna be just taking it apart to satisfy me that everything is correct, not that anything is wrong.

Rom

ottawavalleyboy

• HP is for show....Torque is for go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:45:10 AM »
Excellent photos and great timing!I got my 7.5VA a few weeks ago and while it's in running condition ( it knocks a lot) I'll like comparing notes  on teardown once I get my other projects done
2005 smart fortwo diesel, 95 Toyota tacoma 4x4 gasser, 2011 argo 8x8,and most recently an aircooled Lister 7.5 VA

Rom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »
If these photos help someone, thats great!

I put them up really cause I love a tread of photos, most of mine are very similar to other photos posted by the great folk of this and the sister forum.

Duty calls, and my brother has been working training divers. He is a PADI Instructor and is certifying 28 students over the next week, so not much has been done to VA One these last few days.

I have not had much work recently, and been just cleaning around the workshop and sorting through my most recent shipment from Mr Atul of Power Anand. Along with playing with the 16/2 that I been posting about in another post.

Rom

Rom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 05:16:24 PM »
Hey All,

Heads have arrived! Couple photos to get everyone going. Fresh off the ship from China and just off the boat here, 2 ST5s from Central GA Generator with AVRs.

Dog house

Fan

I havent pulled the top off the doghouse yet to have a look see, but will put up some photos of that and the AVR soon.

Rom

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
Nice work Rom.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Rom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »
Hey All,

Now that the season is over, my brother is back on the Lister project.

Degreased and such.

Brother wire wheeling the rust

First time seeing a alternator mount like this. Normally there are 8 slots.

Alternator mounting plate. I figure 4 slots because with 8 slots the base would break because of the small web between slots.

Box of old SoM and fuel system parts.

Rom