Author Topic: PJ 2  (Read 16901 times)

potter

• View Profile
PJ 2
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »
Was just given a Petter PJ 2 with a Winpower gen head that has been siting in the weather for five or six years.Just wondering if this is worth the trouble to get going it looks possible.I don't want to spend the time if part s are not available or just not a good model thanks
  Potter

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: PJ 2
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:19:36 AM »
Nothing wrong with that model Petter, but parts are of concern... check out the condition of your machine before jumping to any conclusions. It may not take much to get it operational.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

potter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »
Thanks Dieselgman if the hour meter is to be believed it only has 650 hours on it.Also the seals are still on the pump linkage and what i can see of the innards look pristine, the gen head is the worst looking the rotor is rusted solid to the field shoes. I think I will give it a go.
     Thanks Potter

potter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 02:41:06 AM »
Pulled the gen head freed up the linkage cleaned the starter and off she went purring like a kitten. now the work starts on the head. ;D

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »
Nothing wrong with that model Petter, but parts are of concern... check out the condition of your machine before jumping to any conclusions.

I would agree with that assessment, and would add the following:

The PJ is an enlarged version of the  Petter PH engine, but there are significant detail differences, there are some components that are interchangeable, such as big end shell bearings, oil pump, connecting rods, timing gears,govenor parts,  and valve guides. Injector and fuel injection pump bodies are identical, but nozzles and elements are different.

For spares in the UK you might like to try this person; http://www.petterengines.co.uk/  Jim Perkins is a retired petter service engineer and may still have some parts. The usual Indian suppliers also have parts for this engine.

If your still stuck, then PM me as I have some GENUINE PETTER 5000hr PJ2 and PJ3 rebuild kits, the catch is that all the components are STD size. I would also carefully inspect the condition of the sheet metal cowling, as these parts suffer if left exposed to the elements and are generally more difficult to find than wearing parts.

As mentioned by others a good engine, but they do have two weakness:

1),The injection timing is supercritical and if it is not spot on these engines will smoke even when warm.

2), The inlet valves are shrouded, and thus pegged in position to prevent them from rotating, hence they do suffer from valve stem wear.

dieselfitter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 02:38:27 AM »
Nothing wrong with that model Petter, but parts are of concern... check out the condition of your machine before jumping to any conclusions.

I would agree with that assessment, and would add the following:

The PJ is an enlarged version of the  Petter PH engine, but there are significant detail differences, there are some components that are interchangeable, such as big end shell bearings, oil pump, connecting rods, timing gears,govenor parts,  and valve guides. Injector and fuel injection pump bodies are identical, but nozzles and elements are different.

For spares in the UK you might like to try this person; http://www.petterengines.co.uk/  Jim Perkins is a retired petter service engineer and may still have some parts. The usual Indian suppliers also have parts for this engine.

If your still stuck, then PM me as I have some GENUINE PETTER 5000hr PJ2 and PJ3 rebuild kits, the catch is that all the components are STD size. I would also carefully inspect the condition of the sheet metal cowling, as these parts suffer if left exposed to the elements and are generally more difficult to find than wearing parts.

As mentioned by others a good engine, but they do have two weakness:

1),The injection timing is supercritical and if it is not spot on these engines will smoke even when warm.

2), The inlet valves are shrouded, and thus pegged in position to prevent them from rotating, hence they do suffer from valve stem wear.

Does the same hold true for PJ1's?  Do you also have parts for PJ1's?

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:43:56 AM »
Does the same hold true for PJ1's?  Do you also have parts for PJ1's?

Those statements hold true for the whole PJ 1,2,3,4 range, whether the engine is air or water cooled.

As you would expect there is a very high degree of parts interchangeability across the entire PJ engine range. Hence  I do have a few loose parts for the air cooled PJ range of engines which I would be prepared to let go, but I would be loathed to break up a PJ2 or PJ3 5000hr rebuild kit just to sell a few minor items. I suggest that you PM me with a list of parts your looking for, and we can go from there.

Also bear in mind my comments about parts interchangability with the PH engine range, as these parts are still easy to find if your located in the UK, in addition Jim Perkins would always be worth a try ; http://www.petterengines.co.uk

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:02:13 AM »
Was just given a Petter PJ 2 with a Winpower gen head ......

Lucky  %$#$   $#@    ^^&&^%##  ^$#   !      ;D

enjoy !
veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

potter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 01:37:15 AM »
I put some pics on microcogen of the cleaned up head.