Puppeteer

Author Topic: Engine Governor  (Read 5059 times)

millman56

• View Profile
Engine Governor
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:32:37 AM »
Hi,    an 85 KVA generator I have in my shop presently, has an electronic speed governor fitted, this holds the RPM perfectly with varying loads, in fact I ran the machine with the governor detached and a fixed  no load RPM set on the pump control arm (CAV DPA ) and the speed  governing was hopeless at  20% load.
Now not being one to spend uneccesary cash, having a couple of generators I use for my shop power and proprietary speed governors being very expensive, I thought about the possibility of using a vehicle cruise control set up which I assume is a similar closed loop system to an electronic governor.
The problem for me, not being an electronics whizz, would be modifying the electronics of the system to suit, is there anyone who has done this or would know the mods needed ? 

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Engine Governor
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:22:51 AM »
I know JC Whitney used to have "aftermarket" add-on cruise controls.  They needed a magnet on a drive shaft, and a Hall effect sensor mounted for it.

Nearly all the cruise controls after '92 are integrated into the engine computer.

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »
Your 85KVA set probably won't govern properly because it has the wrong speeder spring fitted in the pump.
When we fitted electronic governors (usually Barber Coleman) to engines fitted with DPA pumps we had to get a kit from CAV that consisted of a strengthened top cover with bronze bushed throttle shaft and a replacement spring that was very stiff and more like a solid link,the throttle stop was set to provide overspeed protection only.
Governing with the standard DPA pump was ,on the whole,pretty good and these electronic kits where mainly fitted just to please computer bods who liked to blame their own failings on the power supply!.

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »
I've often thought about trying to get a cruise control actuator, like the electric operated one on mid 90's Fords, to assist the factory governor on Listeroids.  They are driven by electricity and have cable connection to the throttle shaft.  I can't really tell much about just how they are controlled from looking at a wiring diagram, they just show a few wires connecting the actuator to the main computer.  I plan to measure what is going on in the wires with a voltmeter while driving on cruise control at some point but I fear building a control circut is beyond my knowledge of electronics.  I also don't know if this actuator can react fast enough even if it had the correct driver circut but it seems like a good start.  ???        Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!